Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turbulence issues within tubing (Exair Vortex system)

1. Apr 24, 2017 #1
    Hello,
    I used the Darcy Friction Factor from the Moody Diagram along with the Reynolds number to find energy losses inside the cold air tubing of our vortex system. My calculations showed that I should decrease transitions, length, diameter, and velocity. I am mainly concerned with the figuring out an equation to get the right ratio of velocity and diameter so I can get laminar flow. It seems like there is a very short range where I can adjust these two and come out with colder air. I tried writing a DE to figure out how but am struggling with the variables. I am wondering If I should abandon this approach and use Bernoulli's so I can figure out pressure drops at certain parts or if what I am doing is correct. Also is there an easy to decrease turbulence inside an elbow without using guide vanes?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2017 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

What is a vortex system?

4. Apr 24, 2017 #3
  5. Apr 24, 2017 #4
    Its a generator that cools air.

6. Apr 24, 2017 #5
    the air then proceds out and cools CPU's while they are being tested.

7. Apr 25, 2017 #6
    If you want colder air run your high pressure line right up to your workstation and regulate to your working pressure as close to the work as possible
    What do you do with the hot side air?
    It is easy to decrease turbulence in an elbow use a bigger elbow with a smooth radius
    I personally prefer an air amplifier for cooling it's not as cool as the hot cold vortex but it puts out more air than it uses. The vortex dumps half the air out the back

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted