Friction free tug of war - result check

  • Thread starter Thread starter JWDavid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
JWDavid
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Okay left my book at home - foolishly thinking I had all my equations - oops

Two Skaters, one with mass 65kg and the other with mass 42kg stand on an ice rink holding a pole with a length of 9.7m and a mass that is negligible. Starting from the ends of the pole the scaters pull themselves along the pole until they meet. How far will the 42kg skater move?


Homework Equations



?

& [tex]\vec{}R[/tex]cm = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] mi[tex]\vec{}R[/tex][tex]/[/tex]mi


The Attempt at a Solution


Okay I've determined that the center of mass is 3.8m from the 65 kg mass.
Am I correct in thinking that 9.7-3.8 is the answer? I don't have a place to run through a sample and couldn't find one here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
JWDavid said:
Two Skaters, one with mass 65kg and the other with mass 42kg stand on an ice rink holding a pole with a length of 9.7m and a mass that is negligible. Starting from the ends of the pole the scaters pull themselves along the pole until they meet. How far will the 42kg skater move?
…
Okay I've determined that the center of mass is 3.8m from the 65 kg mass.
Am I correct in thinking that 9.7-3.8 is the answer? I don't have a place to run through a sample and couldn't find one here.

Hi JWDavid! :smile:

Yes, there's no external force, so the centre of mass doesn't move!