I really don't understand what I'm even being asked

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary: Yes. The pole is massless. It is not a useful/meaningful reference point. If one person tugged on it and the other didn't the pole would move relative to the CoM. It's the CoM that acts as the meaningful reference point. And yes, it would remain over the pole.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Two skaters, one mass 65kg and one mass 40kg, stand on an ice rink holding a pole of length 10m and negligible mass. Starting from ends of the pole, the skaters pull themselves along the pole until they meet. How far does the 40kg skater move?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know what aspect of physics this is supposed to be about.

EDIT:

I looked at the solution and it says both skaters end up at the center of mass of the system. With that, the problem is trivial.

But to better my understanding, why do both skaters end up at the COM?

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that this is a conservation of momentum problem.

Both skaters end up at the COM, but why?

What is the net force exerted on the system?

SammyS said:
What is the net force exerted on the system?

ON the system, 0.

1MileCrash said:
ON the system, 0.

So, if no net external force is applied to a system, what happens (or doesn't happen) to its CoM?

1MileCrash said:
I looked at the solution and it says both skaters end up at the center of mass of the system. With that, the problem is trivial.
So what is the answer?

DaveC426913 said:
So, if no net external force is applied to a system, what happens (or doesn't happen) to its CoM?

Then the COM cannot change.

But why is it that when they pull, they end up at the COM?

So what is the answer?

65(10)/105 = 6.2, taking the 40kg "puller" as origin, com is 6.2 meters from it.

If they are very close together, then where is the COM relative to them?

1MileCrash said:
Then the COM cannot change.

But why is it that when they pull, they end up at the COM?
Where else would they end up?

Whether 10m apart or 0m apart, if the CoM has not moved, how could they be anywhere else?

DaveC426913 said:
Where else would they end up?

Whether 10m apart or 0m apart, if the CoM has not moved, how could they be anywhere else?

Well, I don't know, that's what I'm asking. It only makes sense in my head if we assume that both pullers pull with the exact same force, which seems like an absurd assumption.

But eventually they come together, correct?

1MileCrash said:
Well, I don't know, that's what I'm asking. It only makes sense in my head if we assume that both pullers pull with the exact same force, which seems like an absurd assumption.

What if they used completely different forces? What if the 65kg puller did all the pulling and the 40kg puller just hung on? Would that change anything?

Remember, they're on ice. No friction. Newton's First Law applies here.

DaveC426913 said:
What if they used completely different forces? What if the 65kg puller did all the pulling and the 40kg puller just hung on? Would that change anything?

Wouldn't the center of mass move down the pole in that case?

Or... is it correct to say that the center of mass would move "down the pole" but the center of mass oriented in space, in the room, of the skater/pole system would stay the same? IE if I marked the center of mass on the ice underneath the pole. As the pole moves, the center of mass would still stay above that mark on the ice?

1MileCrash said:
Wouldn't the center of mass move down the pole in that case?

Or... is it correct to say that the center of mass would move "down the pole" but the center of mass oriented in space, in the room, of the skater/pole system would stay the same? IE if I marked the center of mass on the ice underneath the pole. As the pole moves, the center of mass would still stay above that mark on the ice?
Yes. The pole is massless. It is not a useful/meaningful reference point. If one person tugged on it and the other didn't the pole would move relative to the CoM. It's the CoM that acts as the meaningful reference point. And yes, it would remain over the pole.

What does it mean when someone says "I really don't understand what I'm even being asked"?

When someone says this, it usually means that they are confused or unsure about what is being asked of them. They may need more clarification or explanation in order to fully understand the question.

Why is it important to understand what you are being asked?

Understanding what you are being asked is important because it allows you to provide a clear and accurate response. If you are unsure of what is being asked, your answer may not fully address the question or may be incorrect.

How can I better understand what I am being asked?

One way to better understand what you are being asked is to ask for clarification. You can also try breaking down the question into smaller parts and addressing each part individually. Additionally, you can do some research or ask for help from someone who may have more knowledge on the topic.

What should I do if I still don't understand what I am being asked?

If you are still unsure of what is being asked, it is important to communicate this to the person asking the question. They may be able to provide more explanation or offer alternative ways to approach the question. It is also okay to take some time to think about the question and come back to it later.

How can I improve my understanding of questions in general?

One way to improve your understanding of questions is to practice actively listening and asking clarifying questions. You can also try breaking down complex questions into smaller parts and practicing answering them. Additionally, reading and researching on various topics can help improve your understanding of different types of questions.