1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Question an incline plane with two angles

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    Ok I just can't see this questions I don't want an answer I just whant an explation on how to do it. if you can respond today it would be great thanks! an simple drawing like I did would be great thanks!

a block weighing 100 newtons is positioned on a incline that makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. The friction force between the block and the incline is 10 newtons. A force of 120 newtons is applied by pulling on a rope that makes an angle of 30 degrees with the incline as shown in attachment.

1. Determine the components of the block's weight parallel to incline (is that Fg?)

2. Determine the magnitude and direction of the componet of the tension that is useful in moving the block up the incline. (tension)

3. Determine the magnitude and direction of the block acceleration.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

For 1 and 2:
    set up the coordinate system so that the x-axis is paralell to the incline.
    for 1 find the angle between the x-axis and the weight (gravitational force) of the block. Then multiply by cos(angle). Same for 2.
    For 3, find the sum of the forces on the x-axis and the y-axis. Then use F=ma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?