Friction; what does not contribute?

• Thread starter jadiepants
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, friction is not dependent on speed or surface area. This is because the formula for kinetic surface-to-surface friction, F_{friction}=\mu_k N, does not include speed or surface area as factors. However, speed may be a factor in determining the amount of friction when transitioning from static friction to kinetic friction. Additionally, while surface area may have an effect on friction, it is not directly included in the equation for friction. Therefore, surface area and speed are not contributing factors to friction.
jadiepants

Homework Statement

What two things do not contribute to friction (i.e. what is friction not dependent upon)?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

After googling I have read that it is speed and surface area - but they had no explanations.
I don't understand how either of these would not contribute and I don't want to submit my assignment when I don't actually understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula that best approximates kinetic surface-to-surface friction is [tex]F_{friction}=\mu_k N[/tex] where [tex]\mu[/tex] is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and [tex]N[/tex] is the magnitude of the normal force between the two surfaces.

That tells me what does contribute, but I need to know what does not contribute.

This is a very vague question though. Look, there are 2 or 3 types of friction which you might encounter in a basic physics class. The first type its called "Static Friction" and the second is called "Kinetic Friction."

In Static Friction the object is not yet moving and therefore it generates more friction.
This can be modeled through the equation:

[tex]\mu [/tex]static Fnormal [tex]\geq[/tex] FSfriction

In Kinetic Friction the object is already moving and therefore there is less friction.
This can be modeled through the equation:

[tex]\mu [/tex]kinetic Fnormal [tex]\geq[/tex] FKfriction

As you can see speed does matter if you are going from V0= 0 m/s to V= nonzero value m/s

But once you start moving speed has nothing to do with the amount of friction

As for surface area... I am not quite sure, but the equations seem to demonstrate no relation between the two.

Last edited:
Thanks for that :) It is pretty vague, my friend suggested I put something silly like 'the colour of the object'

I will put down surface area and speed only when calculating kinetic friction.

Let me clarify the Static Friction and Kinetic Friction... Static Friction is the friction the object needs to overcome to start moving. Kinetic Friction is the friction the system or object encounters while moving.

Last edited:

1. What are some factors that do not contribute to friction?

Some common factors that do not contribute to friction include the shape or size of objects, the temperature, and the presence or absence of air. These factors may affect the amount of friction, but they do not contribute to its existence.

2. Does weight affect the amount of friction?

Yes, weight can affect the amount of friction. The heavier an object is, the more force it exerts on the surface it is in contact with, resulting in a higher level of friction.

3. How does surface roughness impact friction?

Surface roughness can have a significant impact on friction. Rougher surfaces create more contact points between two objects, leading to an increase in friction. Smooth surfaces, on the other hand, have fewer contact points and therefore less friction.

4. Can friction be completely eliminated?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate friction. Friction is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces are in contact with each other. However, it can be reduced through the use of lubricants or by choosing materials with lower coefficients of friction.

5. Does friction always oppose motion?

No, friction does not always oppose motion. In some cases, such as when a car brakes, friction can actually be beneficial in slowing down the object's motion. However, in most cases, friction does act to oppose motion and make it more difficult to move an object.