Direction of friction in yo-yo where applied force is at top

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of friction at the point of contact between a yo-yo and a string. The attempted solution involves considering the net torque around the point of contact and assuming that the static friction force is in the same direction as the tension force in the string. However, this reasoning is not entirely correct as the direction of the friction force depends on the chosen axis and cannot be determined without solving the equations.
issacnewton

Homework Statement

We have a yo-yo and the force ##F## which is the tension in the string and this is at the top tangent as shown in the figure attached with this problem. I want to figure out the direction of the friction at the point of contact.

Homework Equations

Newton's laws of motion and laws for rotational motion

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Now I tried to see the net torque around the point of contact. Let's assume that the static friction force ##f##, is pointed in the same direction as ##F##, which is the right direction. So there are 3 forces acting at the point of contact. ##N, mg## and ##f##. So all of them will contribute zero torque around the point of contact. So only ##F## will contribute to the torque around the point of contact. And this is clockwise torque around this point of contact. Now consider the net torque around the point where ##F## is acting. Since the lines of action of ##N, mg## pass through this point, they will contribute zero torque around this point. ##F## will also not contribute to the net torque here since ##F## is acting at that point. So only ##f## will contribute to the net torque. And ##f## will cause a counter clockwise torque around this point. But this is not possible since we know from earlier analysis that the net torque has to be clockwise. So the direction of static friction force ##f## must be in the backward direction, so that the net torque will be clockwise.
But I know that in this problem, the friction force ##f##, has a forward direction (same direction as ##F##). So there must be something wrong in my reasoning.
So what is it ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 270
Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Now consider the net torque around the point where F is acting.
Need to be careful in choice of axis. If you choose a non-inertial frame about a point which is not the mass centre you may get a wrong result.
IssacNewton said:
But this is not possible since we know from earlier analysis that the net torque has to be clockwise.
Torque is relative to a chosen axis, if you change axis you cannot assume the torque is the same way.

Ok, makes sense. I did not know that. I thought that if net torque is clock wise around one axis then it will be clock wise around any other axis. So, what is rigorous way to find the frictional force direction here ? I have seen the following explanation in this particular case. Due to the force ##F## at the top, the bottom will start sliding towards left and so there will be a momentary kinetic friction force in the forward direction. To prevent sliding, this forward kinetic friction force will become forward static friction force. This explanation is kind of convincing but I wonder if more rigorous argument could be made here.

IssacNewton said:
Due to the force F at the top, the bottom will start sliding towards left
That is not sufficiently obvious. Imagine this as an object floating in space. F will cause a translation to the right of the mass centre, and a clockwise rotation about the mass centre, but the direction of movement of the point diametrically opposite from F will depend on the ratio of the two.

So, how can we deduce that the static friction force is in the same direction as ##F## ? I don't think I clearly understood your point here.

IssacNewton said:
So, how can we deduce that the static friction force is in the same direction as ##F## ? I don't think I clearly understood your point here.
Just write out the equations and solve.

It will turn out that the direction will be in the F direction for a uniform solid cylinder. For a hollow cylindrical shell of zero thickness, I believe there would be no frictional force, and if you were to add a flange to that, projecting beyond the two forces, so that the moment of inertia exceeds mr2, then the frictional force will go the other way.

Ok, so we can not get the direction of friction before solving the equations ?

IssacNewton said:
Ok, so we can not get the direction of friction before solving the equations ?
That's my view.

Ok, thanks haruspex...

1. What is the direction of friction in a yo-yo when the applied force is at the top?

The direction of friction in a yo-yo when the applied force is at the top is in the opposite direction to the applied force. This means that the friction force will act downwards towards the ground.

2. Why does friction act in the opposite direction to the applied force in a yo-yo?

This is because friction is always opposing motion. In the case of a yo-yo, when the force is applied at the top, the yo-yo will move downwards, so the friction force acts in the opposite direction to try and prevent this motion.

3. Does the direction of friction change if the yo-yo is moving at a constant speed?

No, the direction of friction remains the same even if the yo-yo is moving at a constant speed. This is because the friction force is still opposing the motion of the yo-yo, even if it is not accelerating.

4. How does the direction of friction affect the movement of the yo-yo?

The direction of friction can significantly affect the movement of the yo-yo. If the friction force is greater than the applied force, the yo-yo will slow down and eventually come to a stop. If the friction force is less than the applied force, the yo-yo will continue to accelerate downwards.

5. Can the direction of friction be changed in a yo-yo?

Yes, the direction of friction can be changed in a yo-yo by changing the direction of the applied force. For example, if the applied force is at the bottom of the yo-yo, the friction force will act upwards to oppose the motion of the yo-yo.