Friedman equations from flat FRW universe line element

In summary, to calculate the basic Friedman equations from the flat FRW universe line element, you will need to calculate the 00 component of the Einstein Field Equations and set it equal to the zeroth component of the stress energy momentum tensor times 8 pi G. A good resource for further understanding is a book on Einstein's theory of general relativity.
Seetesh
I would like some help in calculating the basic Friedman equations starting from the flat FRW universe line element, Once I have calculated the Christoffel symbols for this metric how do i get to the Friedman equation, any link to a good book will be really helpful, thanks, seetesh.

Space news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the Einstein Field Equations? The Friedmann equation comes from the 0-0 component.

Seetesh said:
I would like some help in calculating the basic Friedman equations starting from the flat FRW universe line element, Once I have calculated the Christoffel symbols for this metric how do i get to the Friedman equation, any link to a good book will be really helpful, thanks, seetesh.

Like Cristo said, it's the 00 component of Einstein equation so you will have to calculate

[tex] R_{00} - \frac{1}{2} g_{00} R [/tex]

and set this equal to the zeroth component of the stress energy momentum tensor times 8 pi G

What are the Friedman equations?

The Friedman equations are a set of equations in cosmology that describe the evolution of the universe. They were first derived by Alexander Friedman in the 1920s and are based on the assumption that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic.

What is the flat FRW universe line element?

The flat Friedmann-Robertson-Walker (FRW) universe line element is a mathematical representation of the expanding universe. It is based on the assumption that the universe is flat, meaning that the curvature of space is zero, and that it follows the principles of the FRW metric, which describes the expansion of the universe.

What is the significance of the Friedman equations?

The Friedman equations are significant because they provide a framework for understanding the evolution of the universe. They allow scientists to make predictions about the future of the universe, such as its ultimate fate and the amount of matter and energy it contains.

How do the Friedman equations relate to the theory of general relativity?

The Friedman equations are derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between matter, energy, and the curvature of space-time. The Friedman equations use this theory to explain the dynamics of the universe on a large scale.

What are the implications of the Friedman equations for the study of cosmology?

The Friedman equations have many implications for the study of cosmology. They provide a way to understand the structure and evolution of the universe, and they have been used to make predictions about the behavior of the universe. They also help to refine our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and provide insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy.