1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From a fraction with infinite sum in denominator to partial fractions?

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    From a fraction with infinite sum in denominator to partial fractions??

I am currently studying a course on Perturbation Methods and in particular an example considering the following integral [tex] \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \frac{d\theta}{\epsilon^2 + \sin^2 \theta}. [/tex]

There's a section of the working where, having used the Taylor expansion of sin near 0 and using sin θ ≈ θ together with substitution θ=εu, we get the following fraction for the integrand
    [tex] \frac{1}{\epsilon^2 + \epsilon^2 u^2 - \frac13 \epsilon^4 u^4 + \cdots}.[/tex]
    This then in both my lecture notes and a book I'm following becomes
    [tex] \frac{1}{\epsilon^2}\left( \frac{1}{1+u^2} + \frac{\epsilon u^4}{3(1+u^2)^2} + \cdots \right). [/tex]

Can anyone see how these are equal?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: From a fraction with infinite sum in denominator to partial fractions??

It looks like using a variation on 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + ... after factoring out 1/{ε2(1+u2)}.

Also second term numerator should be (εu)4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook