Partial Fraction Decomposition With Quadratic Term

In summary, the conversation is about partial fraction decomposition and its application to the integral of (x+1)/((x-1)^2(x-2)). The original denominator is decomposed into three terms on the right hand side, each with a different constant coefficient. The question is why the RHS includes (x-1)^2 when the original denominator did not. The response is that the given expression is equivalent and easier to integrate than if the x-1 term was left out. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation or resources on the topic.
Cosmophile
Hey, all! I'm learning partial fraction decomposition from Serge Lang's "A First Course in Calculus." In it, he gives the following example:

[tex]\int\frac{x+1}{(x-1)^2(x-2)}dx [/tex]

He then decomposes this into the following sum:

[tex] \frac{x+1}{(x-1)^2(x-2)} = \frac{c_1}{x-1}+\frac{c_2}{(x-1)^2}+\frac{c_3}{x-2} [/tex]

My question is this: On the right hand side (RHS), ##x-1## and ##(x-1)^2## appear. Why is this the case, when the original denominator only had the ##(x-1)^2##? I hope this makes sense, and any help here is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you left out the x-1 denominator term, then the numerator for [itex](x-1)^2[/itex] would be a+bx. The expression you are given is equivalent and is easier to integrate.

I'm afraid I don't really understand. Could you explain more explicitly, or direct me to a good resource on this?

I've answer this in a previous thread, so read that first and then you can ask more questions here.

1. What is partial fraction decomposition with quadratic term?

Partial fraction decomposition with quadratic term is a method used to break down a rational function with a quadratic term in the denominator into simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration or simplification of the function.

2. When is partial fraction decomposition with quadratic term used?

This method is commonly used in calculus when integrating rational functions with quadratic terms in the denominator. It can also be used to simplify complex fractions for easier manipulation.

3. How does partial fraction decomposition with quadratic term work?

The first step is to factor the quadratic term in the denominator. Then, the function is written as a sum of simpler fractions with the factored quadratic term as the denominator. The coefficients of the fractions are then solved for using algebraic methods.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fraction decomposition with quadratic term?

Using this method can simplify complex rational functions and make integration easier. It also allows for the evaluation of functions that would be otherwise difficult to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fraction decomposition with quadratic term?

This method can only be used for rational functions with quadratic terms in the denominator. It also may not work for all functions, as some may require more advanced techniques for simplification or integration.