From computer science to physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a degree in physics after completing a degree in computer science. The question is whether this would require starting over and going through a full undergraduate program again or if there are similarities between the two fields that could potentially shorten the process. The advice given is to take the Physics GRE practice test to assess one's knowledge and to focus on building a strong application package for graduate admissions committees. The conversation also mentions the potential for some overlap in coursework, but ultimately, it depends on individual colleges and their specific requirements.
ro.m.j
Has anyone here completed undergrad or grad degree in one field and then decided to go physics?

I have a bachelor's in CS and I'm wondering would i have to go full undergrad again if i would like a degree in physics. I've always loved physics and have completed couple of physics and math classes in my CS degree.

Would i have to start all over and go through four years of undergrad courses again or do CS and physics degrees have a lot in common?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get a sense of where you stand by taking the Physics GRE practice test. Dont spoil it by looking at the problems ahead of time. Take it cold, as you will have too for the real Physics GRE, and see how you do.

Otherwise, its up to the graduate admissions committee whether or not they want you. They will look at your GRE scores, your GPA/transcripts and letters of recommendation from professors you did research with (or just took classes from). If your application package is good and relevant to their research interests they are free to take you if they want.

Aren't there some classes that i would have to take regardless of my GRE score and all other things you mentioned? I mean, I'm sure there are more science/math classes in undergrad physics degree then the CS one i got. Wouldn't i have to take a class or two or if my GRE scores are great they would care? Or is this something that depends from college to college. I guess I'm just wondering what most likely scenario would be or if someone already had similar experience. Thanks for your reply Modus

Yes, it is possible to transition from computer science to physics. Many people have completed their undergraduate or graduate degrees in one field and then decided to pursue a degree in physics. However, it may require additional coursework and time to complete the degree in physics.

The amount of overlap between CS and physics courses will depend on the specific programs and courses offered at your institution. It is likely that you will need to take several physics and math courses to fulfill the requirements for a physics degree, but you may be able to receive credit for some of the courses you have already taken in your CS degree.

It is important to research the requirements and course offerings at the universities you are considering to determine the best path for you to pursue a degree in physics. Some universities may offer special programs or tracks for students with non-physics backgrounds to transition into the field.

Additionally, keep in mind that physics is a highly mathematical and theoretical field, so it is important to have a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills. If you have completed math courses as part of your CS degree, it may help you in your transition to physics.

Overall, it is possible to switch from computer science to physics, but it may require additional time and coursework. It is important to thoroughly research and plan your academic path to achieve your goal of obtaining a degree in physics.

What is the relationship between computer science and physics?

The two fields are closely related as they both deal with the study of fundamental principles governing the natural world. Computer science uses principles from physics to understand and design computer systems, while physics uses computational methods and models from computer science to analyze complex physical systems.

What are some examples of applications where computer science and physics intersect?

Some examples include computational physics, where computer simulations are used to model and analyze physical systems and phenomena, and quantum computing, which combines principles from both fields to develop powerful computing technologies.

What skills from computer science are useful in physics?

Computer science skills such as coding, data analysis, and algorithm design are highly valuable in physics. These skills allow physicists to develop and run simulations, analyze large datasets, and develop computational models to understand complex physical systems.

How does computer science contribute to advancements in physics research?

Computer science has played a crucial role in advancing physics research by providing tools and techniques for data analysis, modeling, and simulation. With the increasing amount of data being collected in physics experiments, computer science has become essential in processing and analyzing this data to gain new insights and make new discoveries.

Can studying computer science help me become a better physicist?

Yes, studying computer science can greatly benefit those interested in pursuing a career in physics. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained from studying computer science can be applied to various areas of physics, and the ability to write code and work with data is highly sought after in the field of physics.