1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From computer science to physics

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    Has anyone here completed undergrad or grad degree in one field and then decided to go physics?

I have a bachelor's in CS and I'm wondering would i have to go full undergrad again if i would like a degree in physics. I've always loved physics and have completed couple of physics and math classes in my CS degree.

Would i have to start all over and go through four years of undergrad courses again or do CS and physics degrees have a lot in common?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2
    You can get a sense of where you stand by taking the Physics GRE practice test. Dont spoil it by looking at the problems ahead of time. Take it cold, as you will have too for the real Physics GRE, and see how you do.

Otherwise, its up to the graduate admissions committee whether or not they want you. They will look at your GRE scores, your GPA/transcripts and letters of recommendation from professors you did research with (or just took classes from). If your application package is good and relevant to their research interests they are free to take you if they want.

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3
    Aren't there some classes that i would have to take regardless of my GRE score and all other things you mentioned? I mean, i'm sure there are more science/math classes in undergrad physics degree then the CS one i got. Wouldn't i have to take a class or two or if my GRE scores are great they would care? Or is this something that depends from college to college. I guess i'm just wondering what most likely scenario would be or if someone already had similar experience. Thanks for your reply Modus

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook