From Lie algebras to Dynkin diagrams and back again

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a free online resource that explains the connection between Lie algebras and root systems through Dynkin diagrams, as well as the reconstruction of the Lie algebra from the information encoded in the Dynkin diagram. The preference is for a short PDF or web page rather than a book. The main interest is understanding the limitations and generalizations needed when working with Dynkin diagrams outside of the A-, B-, C-, D-, E- F, G-series. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to check out a book or a promising PDF on the topic.
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
I am looking for a free online-resource sketching
i) the way from Lie algebras to root systems and classification via Dynkin diagrams and
ii) back to the Lie Algebra via reconstruction based on the information encoded in the Dynkin diagram.

I would prefer a short PDF or web page, not a huge book :-)

My main interest is to understand what goes wrong, which steps fail or have to be generalized when starting ii) with a Dynkin diagram not contained in the A-, B-, C-, D-, E- F, G-series, e.g. E9 or E10.

Physics news on Phys.org
tom.stoer said:
I am looking for a free online-resource sketching
i) the way from Lie algebras to root systems and classification via Dynkin diagrams and
ii) back to the Lie Algebra via reconstruction based on the information encoded in the Dynkin diagram.

I would prefer a short PDF or web page, not a huge book :-)

My main interest is to understand what goes wrong, which steps fail or have to be generalized when starting ii) with a Dynkin diagram not contained in the A-, B-, C-, D-, E- F, G-series, e.g. E9 or E10.
Would be easier to simply name a book (found on https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387900535/?tag=pfamazon01-20for $22 - used). Unfortunately the previews I found on Springer's or Google.Books websites didn't include the crucial part I was looking for. However, I've found this pdf which looks quite promising (~p. 50ff.)

http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~cap/files/LieAlgebras.pdf

The short answer is: It is because of geometry. (But I don't remember the details.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot; I'll have a look at that

1. What are Lie algebras and how are they related to Dynkin diagrams?

Lie algebras are mathematical structures that are used to study the algebraic properties of continuous symmetries in objects. They are related to Dynkin diagrams through the Cartan-Killing classification, which classifies Lie algebras based on their underlying symmetries and the corresponding Dynkin diagrams.

2. What is the significance of Dynkin diagrams in the study of Lie algebras?

Dynkin diagrams provide a visual representation of the structure of a Lie algebra, making it easier to understand and classify its symmetries. They also provide a way to construct new Lie algebras from existing ones, by manipulating the Dynkin diagrams.

3. How are Dynkin diagrams constructed?

Dynkin diagrams are constructed by representing the simple roots of a Lie algebra as nodes, and connecting them based on the coefficients of the root system. The resulting diagram reveals the structure and symmetries of the Lie algebra.

4. Can Dynkin diagrams be used to study other mathematical structures?

Yes, Dynkin diagrams can also be used to study other mathematical structures such as root systems, Weyl groups, and Coxeter groups. They provide a useful tool for understanding the underlying symmetries and connections between these structures.

5. How are Dynkin diagrams used in physics?

Dynkin diagrams have applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of gauge theories and supergravity. They help to classify the symmetries of these theories and provide a basis for constructing new ones. Dynkin diagrams have also been used in string theory and quantum field theory.