From Lie algebras to Dynkin diagrams and back again

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter tom.stoer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diagrams Lie algebras
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
5,774
Reaction score
174
I am looking for a free online-resource sketching
i) the way from Lie algebras to root systems and classification via Dynkin diagrams and
ii) back to the Lie Algebra via reconstruction based on the information encoded in the Dynkin diagram.

I would prefer a short PDF or web page, not a huge book :-)

My main interest is to understand what goes wrong, which steps fail or have to be generalized when starting ii) with a Dynkin diagram not contained in the A-, B-, C-, D-, E- F, G-series, e.g. E9 or E10.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tom.stoer said:
I am looking for a free online-resource sketching
i) the way from Lie algebras to root systems and classification via Dynkin diagrams and
ii) back to the Lie Algebra via reconstruction based on the information encoded in the Dynkin diagram.

I would prefer a short PDF or web page, not a huge book :-)

My main interest is to understand what goes wrong, which steps fail or have to be generalized when starting ii) with a Dynkin diagram not contained in the A-, B-, C-, D-, E- F, G-series, e.g. E9 or E10.
Would be easier to simply name a book (found on https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387900535/?tag=pfamazon01-20for $22 - used). Unfortunately the previews I found on Springer's or Google.Books websites didn't include the crucial part I was looking for. However, I've found this pdf which looks quite promising (~p. 50ff.)

http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~cap/files/LieAlgebras.pdf

The short answer is: It is because of geometry. (But I don't remember the details.)
 
Last edited by a moderator: