From quadratic form to vertex form

In summary, The given expression -x^2+4x-1 should be converted to the vertex form of y=k-(x-h)^2 and can be solved using the completing the square method. However, the negative in front of the x^2 term needs to be factored out first, resulting in the final form of y=-(x-2)^2+3.
mathlearn
$-x^2+4x-1$ should be converted to the vertex form of $y=k-(x-h)^2$

How can this be solved by factoring or any other method ?

My attempt to solve this problem , I will be using the completing the square method,

$\left(-x^2+4x+\frac{-b}{2a}\right)=1+\frac{-b}{2a}$

Here $\frac{-4}{-2}=2$

$\left(-x^2+4x+2\right)=1+2$

$\left(-x+2\right)^2=1+2$

$\left(-x+2\right)^2+3$

It's incorrect

Many Thanks (Happy)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathlearn said:
$-x^2+4x-1$ should be converted to the vertex form of $y=k-(x-h)^2$

How can this be solved by factoring or any other method ?

My attempt to solve this problem , I will be using the completing the square method,

$\left(-x^2+4x+\frac{-b}{2a}\right)=1+\frac{-b}{2a}$

Here $\frac{-4}{-2}=2$

$\left(-x^2+4x+2\right)=1+2$

$\left(-x+2\right)^2=1+2$

$\left(-x+2\right)^2+3$

It's incorrect

Many Thanks (Happy)
It's the negative in front of the x^2 term that's causing you problems. I'd factor it out at the beginning:
\(\displaystyle y = -x^2 + 4x - 1 = -(x^2 - 4x + 1) = \text{ ... }\)

I get \(\displaystyle y = -(x - 2)^2 + 3\).

-Dan

1. What is the difference between quadratic form and vertex form?

Quadratic form is a way of expressing a quadratic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c, while vertex form is a way of expressing the same equation in the form of a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the vertex.

2. How can I convert a quadratic equation from quadratic form to vertex form?

To convert a quadratic equation from quadratic form to vertex form, you can use the process of completing the square. This involves taking the coefficient of x, dividing it by 2, and then squaring that value. This value will then be added to both sides of the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can be factored into vertex form.

3. Why is vertex form useful?

Vertex form is useful because it allows us to easily identify the coordinates of the vertex, which is the highest or lowest point on a parabola. This can be helpful in graphing quadratic equations and solving problems related to maximum or minimum values.

4. Can a quadratic equation be written in both quadratic form and vertex form?

Yes, a quadratic equation can be written in both quadratic form and vertex form. This is because they are equivalent forms of the same equation. However, depending on the context or the purpose, one form may be more useful than the other.

5. What is the significance of the "a" value in vertex form?

The "a" value in vertex form represents the vertical stretch or compression of the parabola. A value greater than 1 indicates a vertical stretch, while a value between 0 and 1 indicates a vertical compression. A negative "a" value also indicates a reflection of the parabola over the x-axis.