From what height was the ball thrown?

In summary, a ball thrown horizontally at 24m/s travels a horizontal distance of 52 m before hitting the ground. The height is 23.01 m.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

A ball thrown horizontally at 24m/s travels a horizontal distance of 52 m before hitting the ground. From what height was the ball thrown?

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the velocity needs to broken into its components. I think the angle is 90 degrees, but I'm not sure. After the components are found, I don't know where to go. I know you're supposed to plug the variable into the y equations to find the time, and then plug the time into the x equation to find displacement or whatever else. But in this problem you're looking for the height in the y direction. I'm just confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
aligass2004 said:

Homework Statement

A ball thrown horizontally at 24m/s travels a horizontal distance of 52 m before hitting the ground. From what height was the ball thrown?

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the velocity needs to broken into its components. I think the angle is 90 degrees, but I'm not sure. After the components are found, I don't know where to go. I know you're supposed to plug the variable into the y equations to find the time, and then plug the time into the x equation to find displacement or whatever else. But in this problem you're looking for the height in the y direction. I'm just confused.
Yes, you would need in gneral to break up the velocity into components, but in this problem, it is given that it is thrown horizontally in the x direction, so what is its y component of velocity if it is thrown directly in the horizontal direction? What is its x component of velocity?

Ok, so the angle is zero. So is the y component zero and is the x component 24m/s?

aligass2004 said:
Ok, so the angle is zero. So is the y component zero and is the x component 24m/s?
Yes. So how long does it take to hit the ground (use the kinematic motion equation in the x direction that relates horizontal distance with horizontal velocity and time). The once you have the time, work on the height.

I got it! The time is 2.167, which makes the height 23.01. Thank you soooo much!

1. How do you determine the height from which a ball was thrown?

The height from which a ball was thrown can be determined by using the equation h = v02sin2θ/2g, where h is the height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation is derived from the formula for vertical displacement in projectile motion.

2. What factors affect the height of a thrown ball?

The height of a thrown ball is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and the surface the ball is thrown from can also have an impact on the height.

3. Can the height of a thrown ball be greater than the initial height?

No, the height of a thrown ball cannot be greater than the initial height. This is because the initial height is the starting point of the ball's trajectory and it will eventually reach its maximum height before falling back to the ground.

4. How does the height of a thrown ball change with different launch angles?

The height of a thrown ball will change with different launch angles. A higher launch angle will result in a higher maximum height, while a lower launch angle will result in a lower maximum height. This is because the initial vertical velocity component is greater at a higher angle, allowing the ball to reach a higher point before falling back to the ground.

5. Is there a limit to the height a ball can be thrown?

Yes, there is a limit to the height a ball can be thrown. This is due to the maximum height that can be achieved in projectile motion, which is determined by the initial velocity and angle of launch. Additionally, air resistance and other external factors can also limit the maximum height a ball can be thrown.