From what height will two objects hit the ground at the same speed?

In summary, the two objects will hit the ground at the same speed if they are dropped from the same height, but if they are dropped from different heights, the object dropped on Earth will hit the ground first and the object dropped on the moon will hit the ground later.
hockeybro12

Homework Statement

There are 2 objects both with mass 0.50 kg which are dropped from rest at height h. One is dropped on Earth and experiences air resistance and one is dropped on moon and experiences no air resistance. The gravitational acceleration on Earth is 9.8 and on moon it is 1.6.

From what height h will the objects hit the ground at the same speed?

Homework Equations

F=-kv for air resistance
k=0.17

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we will somehow use the gravitational acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I'd start by figuring out the equations that will tell you how long it will take for each object to fall (it'll be a function of h). Then I'd set the two equal to each other.

Do you see where you would get those equations?

Vorde said:
Well I'd start by figuring out the equations that will tell you how long it will take for each object to fall (it'll be a function of h). Then I'd set the two equal to each other.

Do you see where you would get those equations?

Unfortunately, no I don't see where to get the equations because if I set it equal the h will cancel out.

Taking down as positive.
[itex]\ddot {y}=-b\dot y+g[/itex]
or
dv/dt=-bv+g
This is a differential equation of motion.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
Taking down as positive.
[itex]\ddot {y}=-b\dot y+g[/itex]
or
dv/dt=-bv+g
This is a differential equation of motion.

Hello,

I am looking for at what height h will the velocity of the two objects be constant. I don't see how this while help solve. Also, I don't know what each of the variables stands for.

You can use SUVAT equation for the height of the motion on the moon.
With air resistance of the earth, its a bit complicated to find the height with differential equation involved.

I am sure that there is another way to do this because we have not learned about SUVAT or differential equations.

The time it takes for an object to fall from a height H is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/itex]

It should be easy to set two sides of an equation equal to each other (moon and earth) and solve for h.

Vorde said:
The time it takes for an object to fall from a height H is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/itex]

It should be easy to set two sides of an equation equal to each other (moon and earth) and solve for h.

Im not sure I understand because when I make
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/itex]

then won't h cancel out? also, you haven't taken into account the air resistance on earth?

Oh I totally misread the original question, I'm sorry for misleading you with my stuff. I thought wanted something different.

I can think of two ways I'm pretty sure I could solve this with (Energy stuff, and calculus stuff), but neither factors in air resistance, so I'll need to think about it for a tiny bit.

Again, sorry for talking about the wrong stuff.

1. How does the height of two objects affect their speed when they hit the ground?

The height of two objects does not affect their speed when they hit the ground. This is because the force of gravity acts on all objects in the same way, regardless of their height. Therefore, both objects will hit the ground at the same speed regardless of their starting height.

2. Is the mass of the objects a factor in determining their speed when they hit the ground?

Yes, the mass of the objects does play a role in determining their speed when they hit the ground. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the force of gravity acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that objects with a larger mass will experience a greater force of gravity and therefore will hit the ground at a faster speed than objects with a smaller mass.

3. What is the formula for calculating the speed at which two objects will hit the ground?

The formula for calculating the speed at which two objects will hit the ground is: v = √(2gh), where v is the final speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the starting height. This formula applies to objects dropped from rest without any air resistance.

4. Will two objects with different shapes and sizes hit the ground at the same speed?

Yes, as long as the objects have the same starting height and experience the same force of gravity, they will hit the ground at the same speed. The shape and size of the objects do not affect the force of gravity acting on them.

5. Can two objects with different masses and starting heights have the same speed when they hit the ground?

Yes, it is possible for two objects with different masses and starting heights to have the same speed when they hit the ground. This can occur if the objects have a different initial velocity or if air resistance plays a role in slowing down one of the objects. However, under ideal conditions, two objects with different masses and starting heights will not hit the ground at the same speed.