Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate a gel?

• Thread starter mark126
  • Start date
In summary, frozen orange juice concentrate is not gel, but is an emulsion. It is a cheaper option to buy than regular orange juice, but it is more difficult to mix.
mark126
Hello. I was interested to see what everyone thought on this subject:

Is frozen orange juice concentrate (Old South etc) considered a "gel"?

My chemistry teacher suggested this, and I'm interested to see what other people on physics forums thought.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
And I thought this had something to do with the weather in So Cal. Do frozen oranges make frozen orange juice concentrate?

Well, what does "slush" count as? That's what "frozen" orange juice concentrate is like...not quite a solid, not quite a liquid. Is that the definition of a gel? It's cheap, buy yourself a can of the stuff and you'll see for yourself what the texture is.

I've dealt with orange juice concentrate before, but I'm looking for a definition that would put it into either a "gel" or "not gel" category.

One has to determine if OJ is a colloidal suspension, which fits the definition of gel - Colloidal suspension of a solid dispersed in a liquid; a semirigid solid - or is it an emulsion.

http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cgi/iechad/1934/26/i08/f-pdf/f_ie50296a015.pdf?sessid=6006l3 refers to 'emulsion', but the context is somewhat ambiguous, although they may be referring to orange juice.

OJ is likely considered an emulsion. Presumably one's textbook contains some definition or explanation of 'gel' and 'emulsion'.

Colloid is used in conjuction with both terms.

I am somewhat reluctant to do this but -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion -> "An emulsion is a mixture of two immiscible (unblendable) substances. One substance (the dispersed phase) is dispersed in the other (the continuous phase)," which seems a reasonable characterization of pulp (discontinous phase) dispersed in serum (juice, liquid).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gel

But please verify with other reliable sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy Old South Orange Juice, and if I had to pick whether or not it is gel, I would say it isn't.

It's unlike other frozen juices though. You might think of it like "slush" like Moonbear said, but it really isn't like that. When Old South is frozen, it is frozen. When you thaw it, parts go to liquid, the other parts remain frozen solid. It is a pain in the arse to mix in water compared to other frozen juices. I normally rinse it under hot water for a bit in the beginning, otherwise you'll have a not so fun time trying to get it out of the can. After that, you submerge it in water, and let it completely thaw in the water. Come back later, and stir it up.

Other juices, you can just take out the can from the freezer and mix it up. But with Old South, that's like impossible.

1. What is frozen orange juice concentrate gel?

Frozen orange juice concentrate gel is a product made from concentrated orange juice that has been frozen into a gel form. It is typically stored in the freezer and can be thawed and reconstituted with water to make orange juice.

2. How is frozen orange juice concentrate gel made?

Frozen orange juice concentrate gel is made by extracting the water from freshly squeezed orange juice through a process of evaporation. The resulting concentrated juice is then frozen and formed into a gel for easier storage and transportation.

3. How do I use frozen orange juice concentrate gel?

To use frozen orange juice concentrate gel, simply thaw the desired amount in the refrigerator or in a bowl of warm water. Once thawed, mix with the appropriate amount of water according to the instructions on the packaging to reconstitute the juice.

4. How long does frozen orange juice concentrate gel last?

Frozen orange juice concentrate gel can last for several months if stored properly in a freezer at 0°F or below. However, it is recommended to use it within 6 months to ensure the best quality and taste.

5. Can I use frozen orange juice concentrate gel in cooking and baking?

Yes, frozen orange juice concentrate gel can be used in cooking and baking recipes that call for orange juice. It can add a concentrated orange flavor to dishes such as marinades, sauces, and desserts.