Frustum Pyramid Volume to Design Oil Containment System

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of volume for an oil containment system using a frustum pyramid formula. The system includes a catch basin with a 24"x24" grate and a perimeter that is 4" above the basin. The formula is used to calculate the volume of oil or water that the sloped floors can hold. There is also a question about the shape of the frustum pyramid, and the speaker shares their calculations and asks for feedback. They also mention the possibility of moving the conversation to the Math section.
blimkie.k
I have attached a word document showing an image and some typed out simple calculations.

I am working on an oil containment system for a new building my employer is going to be building soon. Its pretty simple in the middle of the floor we put a catch basin with a 24"x24" grate. This catch basin is to be 4" below the floor so the perimeter of the oil containment area will be 4" above the catch basin (obviously).

Am I correct in assuming that frustum pyramid volume formula is the correct way to calculate the volume of oil or water the sloped floors could hold assuming the catch basin is all ready full to the top of the grate? Does a frustum pyramid have to have the same shape for its base and top or could it be a hexagon on the bottom and a square on top like in this case?

I would appreciate some feedback on my math in the word document the formula is just a basic frustum pyramid volume formula I remember from college. My answer seems quite large to me though.

Feel free to move this to the Math section if you wish, I was thinking of putting it there but it is a design questions as well.

Thanks.

Attachments

• OIL CONTAINMENT CALCULATION.doc
    83 KB · Views: 430
Engineering news on Phys.org
blimkie.k said:
I would appreciate some feedback on my math in the word document
blimkie.k said:
Volume = 2851264 inches cubed
Convert to feet cubed ( 1 ft^3 = 144 in^3
2851264 / 144 = 19800.44 feet cubed
Check your conversion arithmetic.
Volume = 2851264. cubic inch;
Convert to cubic feet; 1 ft^3 = 12*12*12 = 1728 in^3
2851264 / 1728 = 1650.0 cubic feet.

1. What is a frustum pyramid?

A frustum pyramid is a three-dimensional shape that has a polygonal base and a top that is parallel to the base, but smaller in size. It is formed by slicing off the top portion of a regular pyramid.

2. How is the volume of a frustum pyramid calculated?

The volume of a frustum pyramid can be calculated by using the formula V = (1/3) * h * (A + sqrt(A * B) + B), where h is the height of the frustum, A is the area of the larger base, and B is the area of the smaller base.

3. What is the importance of designing an oil containment system?

An oil containment system is crucial in preventing oil spills and minimizing the impact of any potential spills on the environment. It helps contain and control the spread of oil, as well as facilitate clean-up efforts.

4. How can the volume of a frustum pyramid be used in designing an oil containment system?

The volume of a frustum pyramid can be used to determine the capacity of an oil containment system. By knowing the volume of the frustum pyramid, engineers can design a containment system that is able to hold a certain amount of oil in case of a spill.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when designing an oil containment system besides volume?

Yes, in addition to volume, other factors to consider when designing an oil containment system include the type of oil, the location and terrain of the containment area, and the potential impact of the oil spill on the surrounding environment.