1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function and subsets - inverses

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] and [itex]B_1, B_2 \in P(Y)[/itex] where P(Y) is the power set.

Prove that [itex]f^{-1}(B_1\cap B_2) = f^{-1}(B_1) \cap f^{-1}(B_2)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    The book gives this definition:
    Suppose [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] is a function.

The function [itex]f^{-1}:P(Y) \rightarrow P(X)[/itex] is defined by [tex]f^{-1}(B)=\begin{cases} x\in X | f(x)\in B \end{cases}\}[/tex] for [itex]B\in P(Y)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I can do is just basically rewrite the definition:

Say [itex]y_0 \in B_1\cap B_2[/itex]. Then [tex]f^{-1}(\{y_0\})=\{x \in X ~|~ y_0=f(x)\}[/tex]

Then I make magic leap concluding that since [itex]y_0 \in B_1\cap B_2[/itex], [itex]y\in B_1[/itex] and [itex]y\in B_2[/itex]. Hence, these sets will be equal and so [itex]f^{-1}(B_1\cap B_2) = f^{-1}(B_1) \cap f^{-1}(B_2)[/itex] . But I realize that a lot of grammar is missing. Can somebody help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "magic leap" can be given in more detail. You are basically trying to prove "[itex]A= B[/itex]". To prove that for sets, first prove "[itex]A\subset B[/itex] and the prove [itex]B\subset A[/itex]. And to prove [itex]A\subset B[/itex], start with "if [itex]x\in A[/itex]" and use the properties of A and B to conclude "then [itex]x\in B[/itex]".

Here, you want to prove that [itex]f^{-1}(B_1\cap B_2)= f^{-1}(B_1)\cap f^{-1}(B_2)[/itex]. So start "if [itex]x\in f^{-1}(B_1\cap B_2)[/itex]". Then, by definition of [itex]f^{-1}[/itex], there exist [itex]y\in B_1\cap B_2[/itex] such that f(x)= y. Since y is in [itex]B_1\cap B_2[/itex], y is in [itex]B_1[/itex] and y is in [itex]B_2[/itex].
    1) If y is in [itex]B_1[/itex] and f(x)= y, then [itex]x\in f^{-1}(B_1)[/itex].
    2) If y is in [itex]B_2[/itex] and f(x)= y, then [itex]x\in f^{-1}(B_2)[/itex].

Since both are true, [itex]x\in f^{-1}(B_1)\cap f^{-1}(B_2)[/itex].
    That is, [itex]f^{-1}(B_1\cap B_2)\subset f^{-1}(B_1)\cap f^{-1}(B_2)[/itex].

Now, to prove the other way, that [itex]f^{-1}(B_1)\cap f^{-1}(B_2)\subset f^{-1}(B_1\cap B_2)/itex], start:
    If [itex]x\in f^{-1}(B_1)\cap f^{-1}(B_2)[/itex] and I will let you try the rest.

4. Aug 4, 2012 #3
    Lets try it:

Say [itex]x\in f^{-1}(B_1)\cap f^{-1}(B_2)[/itex]. Then there exists [itex]y\in B_1[/itex] and it also [itex]y\in B_2[/itex] such that [itex]y=f(x)[/itex]. Because of [itex]x[/itex] belonging to both sets, and such [itex]y[/itex] existence, it also belongs to [itex]y\in B_1\cap B_2[/itex] such that [itex]y=f(x)[/itex]. Hence [itex]f^{-1}(B_1)\cap f^{-1}(B_2)[/itex] is a subset of [itex]f^{-1}(B_1\cap B_2)[/itex]

right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook