Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function Describing Caloric Target

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    [Heavily edited for clarity.]

So, I'm playing around with a function that describes the change of an individuals weight as a function of days passed given a number of constant variables: current weight, target weight, number of days until target weight will be reached, and daily calorie target.

My function is derived from an equation that describes weight after a number of days given a constant caloric deficit, d:

f(0) = a;
    f(x+1) = f(x) - (d/3500)
    f(n) = b;

With this set of equations, we can solve for d (daily caloric deficit) given a (starting weight), b (ending weight), and n (number of days until ending weight is reached).

That's fine, but I wanted to alter this set of equations to allow for variable values of d. So, I removed d as a constant variable and allowed it to equal g(x)-t where g(x) is a calculated caloric baseline. Now I want to solve for a constant value t (a constant daily caloric target) that would result in a decrease to weight b after n days given a starting weight a.

f(0) = a; // where a is current weight
    g(x) = q + p*f(x); // this describes a linear relationship between caloric baseline and weight
    f(x+1) = (g(x)-t)/3500; // t is the constant caloric target, so g(x)-t is caloric deficit.
    f(n) = b; // n = number of days until target weight will be reached. b = target weight.

Of course, f(x+1) and g(x) could be combined; I kept the separate to illustrate the model.

Now, my question is... how would I solve for t if a, n, b, q, and p are all known? I intuitively known there is a way to solve this, but I can't figure it out, and it's bugging me. If anyone could help me figure this out, I'd appreciate it.

Edit: by the way, if this isn't calculus... my bad.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not exactly "Calculus" but close to it. This is, technically, a "finite difference equation" but a simple one. If f(0)= a then f(1)= f(0+ 1)= a- d/3500, f(2)= f(1+ 1)= (a- d/3500)- d/3500= a- 2d/3500, f(3)= f(2+ 1)= (a- 2d/3500)- d/3500= a- 3d/3500, and, in general f(x)= a- 3x/3500.

So g(x)= q+ pa- 3px/3500. But I don't understand what you mean by "line that approximates a given individuals caloric baseline as a function of weight".

You have already said that f(x+1)= f(x)- d/3500 and that g(x)= q+ pf(x). So f(x+1)= (g(x)- t)/3500 is f(x)- d/3500= (q+ pf(x)- t)/3500= (q- t)/3500+ pf(x)/3500. Then f(x)- pf(x)/3500= (1- p/3500)f(x)= (d+ q- t)/3500 and f(x)= [(d+ q- t)/3500][3500/(3500- p)]
    f(x)= (d+ q- t)/(3500- p) which can't be correct because there is no "x" on the right side. Given that d, q, t, and p are constant, the right side stays the same no matter how x changes.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3
    Oh, I see. No, I guess I was confusing. The first function is actually describing a different model than the latter four, and for the sake of "solving the problem" doesn't exist. (It's describing a model with constant caloric deficit and a steadily decreasing daily target caloric intake, whereas the other four are describing steadily decreasing caloric deficit and constant daily caloric intake. I just provided the former equation as background info, to show where I was coming from before I found this problem.

I'm just trying to find the equation that solves for the unknown value of t with respect to the other (known) constant values (d, q, t, p, and n) given only the latter four equations.

If that makes sense. :\

(I heavily edited my original post to clarify this.)

EDIT: I just meant there is an approximately linear relationship between weight ("f(x)") and baseline caloric expenditure ("g(x)") when other factors (age, height, gender, etc...) are held constant. Incidentally, "g(x) = q + p*f(x)" is that line.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook