Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Function which measures "error"

1. Jun 6, 2016 #1

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I have an error, denoted [itex]e(x,y)[/itex] for example. It's not a norm and it isn't symmetric, that is to say: [itex]e(x,y)\neq e(y,x)[/itex].

My question is simply this: With such properties, is the choice of such a function a good one?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I suppose that depends on what you want to do with it.
    If your goal is to show that the error is bounded, then you should not need the properties of norms and symmetry, although those properties can simplify your proof.

4. Jun 6, 2016 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I'm not worried about showing it's bounded but if it's a good measure of error with it being non-symmetric.

5. Jun 6, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What defines "good"? What do you want to do with this number?
    Also, what are x and y?

6. Jun 6, 2016 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Okay, I am trying to compare two different positions and orientations of a drill. The x and y are elements of SE(3).

7. Jun 6, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Something like expected and real position? Then I don't see anything wrong with an asymmetry - as an example, "drill too low" could be much worse/better than "drill too high".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted