Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function with Euler's constant

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1
    Hello all,

is there an alternative way of displaying

##\frac{x}{e^{x}-1}##

as a trigonometric function, not using the bernoulli-numbers ?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by "display as a trigonometric function". Would writing [itex]e^x[/itex] as [itex]cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/itex] help?

4. Sep 26, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Regardless of what it means, writing it this way would not help since it is not true. It is ##e^x##, not ##e^{ix}## ...

5. Sep 26, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, you can replace x by ix.

6. Sep 26, 2015 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

Turn it upside down: [itex]e^{x}-1=\frac{x}{1!}+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}+... [/itex], so [itex] \frac{e^{x}-1}{x}=\frac{1}{1!}+\frac{x}{2!}+\frac{x^{2}}{3!}...[/itex]. Don't know if that helps.

7. Sep 26, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe set up a triangle with one side ## f(x)=x ## and the other side a local linearization of ## e^x -1 ##, then use Taylor series for arcsin or arc cos? Just an idea, Ihave not worked it out.

8. Sep 28, 2015 #7
    Thanks for your answers, I do think the answers of Svein and WWGD do help me the best.

Basically, i am trying to understand, what the Bernoulli Numbers "do" and why they can be developed in a series expansion leading to the simple result x/(e^x-1).
    I started by checking that Faulhaber-formulas, where the bernoulli-numbers appear in the last term while summarising x^2n with escalating x. Second, i wonder why they "appear" only with 2n index (except B#1).

thx for any hint !

9. Sep 28, 2015 #8

Svein

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook