1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional analysis and topology books needed

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    Hi folks ... I urgently need good books about Functional analysis and Topology. These must be comprehensive and thorough, undergraduate or graduate. Please, advise and provide your experiences with such books. I accept only thick books ;)

e.g
    • Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications by Erwin Kreyszig ?
    • What about An introduction to functional analysis by Mischa Cotlar ?
    • Topology by Munkres ?
    • Introduction to Differential and Algebraic Topology by bunch of Russian guys ?
    Many thanks in advance to all who reply !

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Willard - General Topology

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    The topology text by Munkres is absolutely amazing; it is also VERY comprehensive with respect to general topology. Depending on your background, you may also want to purchase Mendelson's Introduction to Topology (which is very cheap to purchase). The latter discusses metric spaces in much more depth than the Munkres text. I found that particularly useful because I never had an analysis course that touched upon the topic in anything more than a cursory way.

General Topology by Willard is also an excellent choice; however, in my opinion, it is a little bit tougher to read than the two aforementioned texts. His use of "nhood" in place of "neighborhood" also annoys me. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted