1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory to Functional Analysis

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    Folks,

I am starting a module in functional analysis undergrad level. I have been suggested introductory functional analysis by Kreyszig, but in instead of buying another expensive book is there a good online source like a pdf on in this topic that I could avail of?

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards
    Eddie

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Kreyszig (700 pages from 1978) is VERY good and provides you with a lot of information. If you're really interested in this topic of maths, make an effort & get it.

5. Oct 15, 2011 #4
    Thank you guys. I got my hands on Kreyszig.

What I am missing now some useful link detailing

1) all the notations used in Functional analysis like the symbol for 'subset', 'is an element if', 'for all' etc etc. I see kreyszig has some notation but its not completely definitive?

2) A link to the equivalent Latex notation so i can write on this forum.

Thanks

6. Oct 15, 2011 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) I don't understand. Check his page 609 where he starts an appendix on set theory and has all the notations listed. What do you mean definitive ? Are there any inconsistencies ?

2) You can type on this forum using TEX/LATEX code. Search this forum or the internet for tutorials.

EDIT: Here's a free tutorial I found in my computer.

Attached Files:

7. Oct 16, 2011 #6
    ok, thanks dextercioby although I am waiting for that attachment to be approved that last few days :-)

8. Oct 16, 2011 #7
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

& the kreyszig book is great. it does basic functional analysis & keeps the measure & topology to a minimum. the only topology that I remember off the top of my head is sequential compactness.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook