1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional Analysis or group representations?

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    I have to choose a total of 12 modules for my 3rd year. I've everything decided except four of them. I want to eventually do research either General Relativity, quantum mechanics, string theory, something like that.

I'm torn between
    Group Representations, with one of Practical numerical simulations or Algorithmic Entropy or Number Theory

and

Functional Analysis 1 and 2.

Which would be more beneficial? I'd rather do groups but I'm not too keen on the other modules that would go with that.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2
    Bump.

The timetable has been changed and these modules clash, so which would be more useful for the areas i'm interested?

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    You need a ton of mathematics if you want to do work on string theory and quantum gravity. Both of those modules are essential. Whichever you take, be sure to study the other on your own.

That said, the one which will give you the most instant payoff is probably functional analysis. Group representation theory will become more important in advanced courses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook