Should I give up string theory due to its job prospects?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a graduate student struggling to choose between two research groups: cosmology and hep-th (strings). The student has a strong background in strings but is realizing they may not be able to grasp the big picture in formal theory. There is also discussion about the competitive nature of academic jobs and the possibility of pursuing a more lucrative field. The opinions shared suggest focusing on observation and experimentation rather than solely on theory, and questioning the relevance and future of string theory. Some recommend considering alternative career paths, such as computer science or medicine, for better job prospects.
eudaimonia
I'm currently a fresh grad student in theoretical physics, and I'm still deciding to choose which research group to join. My current understanding (maybe I'm wrong) is the PhD theme pretty much determines the topic for future post-doc research so I kinda need to choose very carefully.

I'm deciding between 2 groups: cosmology group (numerical + theory on gravitation and large-scale structure, mostly modified gravity etc., very little about strings) VS hep-th group (mostly strings)

I spent my entire bachelor and master studying and preparing for strings (so QFT, SUSY, superstrings, Kahler manifolds, SUGRA, AdS/CFT) and really not into the aesthetic of MOND stuff, much less about doing observational works.

My problem is: throughout the years, I've realized I'm just *objectively* not smart enough to grasp the big picture when it comes to formal theory, and all its mathematics (the Kahler manifold thing is driving me crazy).
My exam scores on those formal theory topics are not bad, but I think reading the textbook and doing active research are completely different things.

+the current climate on rumor mill job listings, should I just give up formal theory and do more observational/phenomenological stuff?

Sorry for the long read, I would really appreciate comments from current researchers.

Physics news on Phys.org
With the caveat that I'm not in these areas at all, from a big picture point of view, if you're worried about academic jobs, I would think that it likely won't really matter. The fields are all extremely competitive, to the point where graduating PhDs can expect to leave the field. Whether the probability of getting a permanent job in your area is 1/10 or 1/20, will it really make a difference?

It's okay to pursue what you believe you are going to be most passionate about, but make sure you have a practical backup plan if academia doesn't work out.

Likes Dr. Courtney, gwnorth, StatGuy2000 and 4 others
I'm not in string theory, but pure math is similar in terms of employment prospects.

My humble opinion is that it is a vow of poverty. Get out while you can! Our graduate education chews people up and spits them out. Many aspire to become professors, but very few can be. It's kind of like the NBA or something. You can play basketball and be really good and have the passion, but still not be able to do it professionally.

If you were able to get through graduate string theory texts, you certainly have a good head on your shoulders and can hack it in a more lucrative field, such as software engineering, finance, data science, statistics, or engineering.

Of course, this is just my view. Others will probably disagree, and for some, it worked out great. I am not one of those people.

I always recommend medicine or computer science to smart students. These are definitely the areas with the best payoff.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
Dreams are nice... and some just don't know when to quit!

:oldbiggrin:

I am currently not a researcher but in your case I would opt for the cosmology group. In my personal opinion physics should be experiment, or observation in the case of cosmology, first, theory second. A lot of mathematical models are being produced where the math is all consistent BUT might have no physical basis what so ever. And I think that is mainly because math people want to prop all their latest math toys in physics theories. Another problem is too many hillclimbers in science instead of valley crossers. So what I am trying to say is that I believe String Theory has run it's course and is a dead end.

1. Should I give up string theory because it has limited job prospects?

The job prospects for string theory may currently be limited, but that does not mean it will always be the case. Scientific fields are constantly evolving and new opportunities may arise in the future. Additionally, the skills and knowledge gained from studying string theory can be applied to other areas, making you a valuable asset in a variety of industries.

2. Is it worth pursuing a career in string theory if the job market is competitive?

While the job market for string theory may be competitive, it is also a highly specialized and sought-after field. If you have a passion for the subject and are willing to put in the hard work and dedication, it can be a fulfilling and rewarding career path.

3. Will studying string theory limit my career options?

Studying string theory may seem like a niche field, but it actually encompasses a wide range of disciplines such as physics, mathematics, and computer science. This opens up a variety of career options in different industries, including academia, research, and technology.

4. Are there any industries that specifically value expertise in string theory?

Industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology often seek individuals with a background in string theory due to its complex mathematical and theoretical concepts. However, the skills and knowledge gained from studying string theory can also be applied to other industries, making it a versatile field of study.

5. Will the job prospects for string theory improve in the future?

It is difficult to predict the future job market for any field, including string theory. However, with advancements in technology and research, there is potential for new opportunities to arise in the field. Additionally, as more research is conducted and discoveries are made, the demand for string theory experts may increase.