Functional analysis - question about separable dual spaces

In summary: I'm not quite sure how to get this result from the (complex) Hahn-Banach theorem...can you help me with this? Maybe I just have the "wrong" formulation of the theorem; the one I'm looking at talks about defining a real-valued function p(x) such that p(\alpha x + \beta y) \leq |\alpha|p(x) + |\beta|p(y) on some subspace of X. It's certainly not hard to think of such a function (try p(x) = \|x\|) or such a subspace (just try \{0\})...but you then need to have a (nonzero) functional \lambda
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose X is a normed space and X*, the space of all continuous linear functionals on X, is separable. My professor claims in our lecture notes that we KNOW that X* contains functionals of arbitrarily large norm. Can someone explain how we know this, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that pretty obvious?? If T is a nonzero linear functional, then we can look at nT (for n a positive integer). This has norm [itex]n\|T\|[/itex] and can be made large.

micromass said:
Isn't that pretty obvious?? If T is a nonzero linear functional, then we can look at nT (for n a positive integer). This has norm [itex]n\|T\|[/itex] and can be made large.

It certainly is obvious, if we take for granted that there exist nonzero linear functionals! But is that true for an arbitrary normed space?

AxiomOfChoice said:
It certainly is obvious, if we take for granted that there exist nonzero linear functionals! But is that true for an arbitrary normed space?

Of course not, since the space could be {0}, in which case there are no nonzero functionals. Other normed spaces do have nonzero linear functionals. This follows from the Hahn-Banach theorem.

micromass said:
Of course not, since the space could be {0}, in which case there are no nonzero functionals. Other normed spaces do have nonzero linear functionals. This follows from the Hahn-Banach theorem.

But is this really the only kind of space where we have no nonzero functionals? For example, if [itex]f\in X^*[/itex], we know that the inverse image under [itex]f[/itex] of every open set in [itex]\mathbb C[/itex] is open, so in particular we must have

[tex]
f^{-1} \left( \left\{ |z| < 1 \right\} \right) = \left\{ x\in X : |f(x)| < 1 \right\}.
[/tex]

open. But this set is also convex, so our [itex]X[/itex] must contain at least some open convex sets. Doesn't this fail for, say, the nonzero Banach space [itex]\ell^p[/itex] for [itex]0<p<1[/itex]?

AxiomOfChoice said:
But is this really the only kind of space where we have no nonzero functionals? For example, if [itex]f\in X^*[/itex], we know that the inverse image under [itex]f[/itex] of every open set in [itex]\mathbb C[/itex] is open, so in particular we must have

[tex]
f^{-1} \left( \left\{ |z| < 1 \right\} \right) = \left\{ x\in X : |f(x)| < 1 \right\}.
[/tex]

open. But this set is also convex, so our [itex]X[/itex] must contain at least some open convex sets.

Indeed. You have now discovered a more general criterion for the existence of nonzero functionals: there must be "enough" convex sets. Enough means here that at any point x in X, there must be a neighborhood basis consisting out of convex sets. A topological vector space satisfying this criterion is called locally convex. By (a more general form of) the Hahn-Banach theorem, we can show that any locally convex topological space has nonzero functionals.

Doesn't this fail for, say, the nonzero Banach space [itex]\ell^p[/itex] for [itex]0<p<1[/itex]?

Sure, this fails. But [itex]\ell^p[/itex] for [itex]0<p<1[/itex] are not Banach spaces! There is no way to put a norm on [itex]\ell^p[/itex]. The usual norm

[tex]\|(x_n)_n\|_p=\sqrt[p]{\sum |x_k|^p}[/tex]

doesn't satisfy the triangle inequality. The best we can do is put a metric on the space by

[tex]d_p((x_n)_n,(y_n)_n)=\sum |x_k-y_k|^p[/tex]

Under this metric, the space is indeed complete. But this metric does not come from a norm, and is no Banach space (nor locally convex topological vector space).

micromass said:
Sure, this fails. But [itex]\ell^p[/itex] for [itex]0<p<1[/itex] are not Banach spaces! There is no way to put a norm on [itex]\ell^p[/itex]. The usual norm

[tex]\|(x_n)_n\|_p=\sqrt[p]{\sum |x_k|^p}[/tex]

doesn't satisfy the triangle inequality. The best we can do is put a metric on the space by

[tex]d_p((x_n)_n,(y_n)_n)=\sum |x_k-y_k|^p[/tex]

Under this metric, the space is indeed complete. But this metric does not come from a norm, and is no Banach space (nor locally convex topological vector space).

Interesting! I can see why the "standard" p-norm doesn't work, but how does one go about proving that we can't put a norm (of any sort) on this space?

AxiomOfChoice said:
Interesting! I can see why the "standard" p-norm doesn't work, but how does one go about proving that we can't put a norm (of any sort) on this space?

Well, it seems that you already know that [itex]\ell^p[/itex] (for 0<p<1) has no nonzero functionals. That would already show it, since any normed space admits nonzero continuous functionals.

micromass said:

I'm not quite sure how to get this result from the (complex) Hahn-Banach theorem...can you help me with this? Maybe I just have the "wrong" formulation of the theorem; the one I'm looking at talks about defining a real-valued function [itex]p(x)[/itex] such that [itex]p(\alpha x + \beta y) \leq |\alpha|p(x) + |\beta|p(y)[/itex] on some subspace of [itex]X[/itex]. It's certainly not hard to think of such a function (try [itex]p(x) = \|x\|[/itex]) or such a subspace (just try [itex]\{0\}[/itex])...but you then need to have a (nonzero) functional [itex]\lambda[/itex] that satisfies [itex]|\lambda(x)| \leq p(x)[/itex] to move any further, and I can't in general think of one!

AxiomOfChoice said:
I'm not quite sure how to get this result from the (complex) Hahn-Banach theorem...can you help me with this? Maybe I just have the "wrong" formulation of the theorem; the one I'm looking at talks about defining a real-valued function [itex]p(x)[/itex] such that [itex]p(\alpha x + \beta y) \leq |\alpha|p(x) + |\beta|p(y)[/itex] on some subspace of [itex]X[/itex]. It's certainly not hard to think of such a function (try [itex]p(x) = \|x\|[/itex]) or such a subspace (just try [itex]\{0\}[/itex])...but you then need to have a (nonzero) functional [itex]\lambda[/itex] that satisfies [itex]|\lambda(x)| \leq p(x)[/itex] to move any further, and I can't in general think of one!

OK. So take [itex]p(x)=\|x\|[/itex].

Now, take [itex]x_0[/itex] an arbitrary nonzero vector. Then [itex]span(x_0)[/itex] is a closed subspace of our normed space (closed because finite-dimensional). Define a functional

[tex]f:span(x_0)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:tx_0\rightarrow t\|x_0\|[/tex]

now apply Hahn-Banach.

micromass said:
OK. So take [itex]p(x)=\|x\|[/itex].

Now, take [itex]x_0[/itex] an arbitrary nonzero vector. Then [itex]span(x_0)[/itex] is a closed subspace of our normed space (closed because finite-dimensional). Define a functional

[tex]f:span(x_0)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:tx_0\rightarrow t\|x_0\|[/tex]

now apply Hahn-Banach.

Thanks a lot for your help, micromass!

So, just to recap: It is not enough to say that one has "functionals of arbitrarily large norm" in an arbitrary normed space; we must specify that the normed space is nonzero. But, once we have done that, we automatically have nonzero functionals, since every normed space is locally convex.

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and their transformations. It focuses on the properties and structures of functions and operators, and their behavior in infinite-dimensional spaces.

2. What is a separable dual space?

A separable dual space is a type of dual space that is both separable and reflexive. In other words, it is a space that can be spanned by a countable set of linearly independent functionals, and every continuous linear functional on this space can be represented as an integral with respect to a measure.

3. What is the importance of separable dual spaces?

Separable dual spaces have several important applications in functional analysis. They are used to study the convergence of sequences and series of functions, as well as the existence and uniqueness of solutions to differential equations. They also have applications in probability theory, where they are used to model random processes.

4. How are separable dual spaces related to Hilbert spaces?

Separable dual spaces and Hilbert spaces are closely related. Every separable dual space can be mapped to a Hilbert space through a process called the Riesz representation theorem. This allows for the use of Hilbert space techniques in the study of separable dual spaces.

5. Can you give an example of a separable dual space?

One example of a separable dual space is the space of square-integrable functions on the interval [0,1], denoted by L^2([0,1]). This space is separable because it can be spanned by a countable set of orthonormal functions, such as the trigonometric functions sin(nx) and cos(nx). It is also reflexive, making it a separable dual space.