Functions.wolfram.com accepted and published my formula for Gamma Fn

In summary, the email I sent to the experts included images of the partial fraction decomposition and the Euler limit definition of the Gamma function. The partial fraction decomposition is just algebra, and to solve for the coefficients of the Gamma function, I set z = -n for each n = 0, 1, 2, …, lambda-1. The Euler limit form of the Gamma function is that Gamma(z) = \mathop{\lim}\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \frac{{\lambda !{\lambda ^{z-1}}}}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I sent them an email about a week or so ago with the images of the following from the solutions to exercises section 1 of my Insight Article A Path to Fractional Integral Representations of Some Special Functions:

1.9) Use partial fraction decomposition and the Euler limit definition of the Gamma function ##\Gamma ( z ) := \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \frac{\lambda ! \lambda ^{z - 1}}{z ( z + 1 ) \cdots ( z + \lambda - 1 ) }## to show that ##\forall z \notin {\mathbb{Z}^ - } \cup \left\{ 0 \right\} ,##
$$\Gamma ( z ) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \, \lambda ^{z - 1} \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} ( -1) ^k ( \lambda - k ) \left. _{\lambda} C_{k} \right. ( z + k )^{ - 1}$$
where ##\left. _{\lambda} C_{k} \right. ## is a binomial coefficient and ##:=## means "defined to be".
Start by finding the partial fraction decomposition of ##\tfrac{1}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}}## . This is just algebra, set
$$\begin{gathered} \tfrac{1}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}} = \tfrac{{{a_0}}}{z} + \tfrac{{{a_1}}}{{z + 1}} + \cdots + \tfrac{a_{\lambda - 1}}{{z + \lambda - 1}} \\ = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {\tfrac{{{a_k}}}{{z + k}}} \\ \end{gathered}$$
(where the second equality is just more compact notation). Multiply by the common denominator to arrive at
$$1 = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {{a_k}\prod\limits_{\begin{subarray}{l} m = 0 \\ m \ne k \end{subarray}} ^{\lambda - 1} {\left( {z + m} \right)} }$$
To solve this equation for the unknown coefficients ##{a_k}##, set ##z = - n##, for each ##n = 0,1, \ldots ,\lambda - 1##. Then
$$1 = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {{a_k}\prod\limits_{\begin{subarray}{l} m = 0 \\ m \ne k \end{subarray} }^{\lambda - 1} {\left( {m - n} \right)} } \Rightarrow {a_n} = {\left\{ {\prod\limits_{\begin{subarray}{l} m = 0 \\ m \ne n \end{subarray}} ^{\lambda - 1} {\left( {m - n} \right)} } \right\}^{ - 1}}$$
from which ##{a_n} = \tfrac{1}{{\left( { - n} \right)\left( {1 - n} \right) \cdots \left( { - 1} \right) \cdot 1 \cdot 2 \cdots \left( {\lambda - n - 1} \right)}} = \tfrac{{{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^n}}}{{n!\left( {\lambda - n - 1} \right)!}}##. Therefore the desired partial fraction decomposition is
$$\boxed{\frac{1}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}} = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {\left[ {\frac{{{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^k}}}{{k!\left( {\lambda - k - 1} \right)!}} \cdot \frac{1}{{z + k}}} \right]} }$$
Hence from the Euler limit form of the Gamma function we have that
$$\Gamma \left( z \right): = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \frac{{\lambda !{\lambda ^{z - 1}}}}{{z\left( {z + 1} \right) \cdots \left( {z + \lambda - 1} \right)}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \left[ {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {\tfrac{{{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^k}\lambda !{\lambda ^{z - 1}}}}{{k!\left( {\lambda - k - 1} \right)!}} \cdot \tfrac{1}{{z + k}}} } \right]$$
which I simplified to
$$\Gamma \left( z \right) = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\lambda \to \infty } \,{\lambda ^{z - 1}}\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{\lambda - 1} {{{\left( { - 1} \right)}^k}\left( {\lambda - k} \right)\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} \lambda \\ k \end{array}} \right){{\left( {z + k} \right)}^{ - 1}}} $$
*********************End*********************
I checked my email today and they said my formula was published tohttps://functions.wolfram.com/GammaBetaErf/Gamma/09/0003/
Edit: there's some kind of issue with the link I was emailed it doesn't appear to be the correct formula, I have emailed back and awaiting a response.

Last edited:
Likes quasar987, CGandC, DrClaude and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Tried to follow through your proof but I can't understand how you define ##\alpha##.

Oh I'm sorry Delta2, my proof got mangled up with the proof above it pre-copy+paste, gimme a few and I'll fix it.

Likes Delta2
Ehm, now the first section seems deleted, I guess you still editing...

I guess I should 've made the straightforward implication that ##\alpha## is the solution to the equation $$u^{\alpha-1}e^{-u}=u^{z-1}$$

But then again it is not so straightforward if we can treat it as constant with respect to ##u##.

Last edited:
Sorry @Delta2 Oh nvm, you did. Yes the first section which contained an alpha was part of the previous problem and was removed, there's more (I think) to the beginning of the second part now.

Likes Delta2
Ok , I think I understand now, seems to me you correctly calculate the ##a_k## and the rest is up to some algebraic processing of the Euler Limit of Gamma function.

I copy+pasted the link from the email but looking at it is it even right? Looking at the date added at the bottom of the page says 2001 so seems off.

When I click on the link, my browser doesn't seem to display all the page correctly, but what I can see clearly is that $$\Gamma(z)=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{(1)_nn^{z-1}}{(z)_n}$$. This doesn't look exactly as your formula...

There should be a sum in it, see note at bottom of OP after refresh

No can't see any sum anywhere in that link.

1. What is Functions.wolfram.com?

Functions.wolfram.com is a website that allows users to input mathematical formulas and equations and receive a visual representation of the function's graph, as well as other helpful information such as domain and range, critical points, and more.

2. How do I submit a formula to Functions.wolfram.com?

To submit a formula to Functions.wolfram.com, simply go to the website and click on the "Submit a Formula" button. From there, you can input your formula and any necessary parameters and submit it for review.

3. What is the process for having a formula accepted and published on Functions.wolfram.com?

When you submit a formula to Functions.wolfram.com, it goes through a review process by a team of mathematicians and scientists. If your formula is deemed accurate and useful, it will be accepted and published on the website.

4. What is the significance of having a formula accepted and published on Functions.wolfram.com?

Having a formula accepted and published on Functions.wolfram.com means that your formula has been recognized and validated by a team of experts. It also means that your formula will be accessible to a wide audience and can be used by others for their own mathematical calculations and analyses.

5. Is there a limit to the types of formulas that can be accepted and published on Functions.wolfram.com?

Functions.wolfram.com accepts a wide range of formulas and equations, including but not limited to algebraic, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. However, there may be some limitations based on the complexity and accuracy of the formula submitted.