1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental frequency and tension

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A guitar string has a fundamental frequency of 429 Hz when its tension is 259 N.
    The string is being tuned to a fundamental frequency of 388 Hz. What is the required tension?

2. Relevant equations

v = sqrt(T/u): where v is the speed, T is the tension and u is the linear mass density
    f1 = v/2L: where f1 is the fundamental frequency, v is the speed again and L the length of the string

3. The attempt at a solution

sqrt(T/u) = f1(2L)
    sqrt(259/u) = 858L

I tried to use the speed equations to find u or L, which would allow me to calculate the v after and then get the frequency, but I'm still left with 2 unknowns. Am I using the wrong equations to solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2
    You have two equations, one for f1=429Hz and one for f2=259Hz
    Write each one as f=v/2L and substitute for v in terms of T and u
    Then do f2/f1=

4. Feb 27, 2010 #3
    Oh I get it now. It should have been obvious but I was just having trouble with cancelling out the unknown terms. Thanks I managed to get the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook