1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Frequency of a String

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A string with a length of 2.5m has two adjacent resonances at frequencies 112 Hz and 140 Hz. Determine the fundamental frequency of the string?

A. 14 Hz
    B. 28 Hz
    C. 42 Hz
    D. 56 Hz
    E. 70 Hz

2. The attempt at a solution

Since I am not sure how to begin solving this I divided the two Resonances by each of the given solutions to the problem and based on that I came up with 28 Hz as being correct.

112/28 = 4 and 140/28 = 5 since these are adjacent and the others were not I chose 28 Hz

I'm sure there is some type of formula or a method of solving this. If anyone can help me with solving this the correct way it would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

I think the method you solved it is right. One shortcut you can take is 140Hz-112Hz = 28Hz.

So the answer must be 28Hz. (reason being (n+1)*F - n*F = 1*F = F... so if 140 and 112 are adjacent frequencies, F must be 28).

But you should also make sure that 140/28 gives an integer and 112/28 gives an integer... which they both do...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?