Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental frequency of an object with nonlinear stiffness.

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    Hi all. It's been a few years since I've posted here, but it's remained a great go-to resource for me.

Any time I have dealt with mechanical vibrations, the fundamental frequency was based on a constant stiffness. However, I have never encountered the subject of finding the fundamental frequency of objects where the stiffness varies with displacement from equilibrium (i.e., a simply supported beam resting on curved supports, such that the supported length changes as the beam deflects.)

Could someone point to a resource that deals with this subject?

Much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The simplest system mathematically is usually called a Duffing equation or Duffing oscillator, after the person who first studied it. Now you know what it's called, Google is your friend.

4. Feb 4, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply. That should be enough of a foot in the door to look into this further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook