Fundamental noise limit for an ideal photodetector

In summary, the author is trying to calculate the fundamental noise limit for an ideal photodetector. The quantum efficiency is taken care of by the ideal nature of the photodetector, and each incident photon excites an electron into functioning as a conducting electron. The operators can be represented in the ladder operator framework, and the commutator for ladder operators is 1. The uncertainty between the two operators is -\frac{1}{4}.
Dustgil

Homework Statement

As the title says, I'm trying to calculate the fundamental noise limit for an ideal photodetector, by specifically looking at the rate of incidence of annihilation of photons (and subsequent excitation of conducting electrons) on the detection surface. Since I'm looking for the theoretical minimum, the quantum efficiency is 100% (taken care of by the ideal nature of the photodetector) and each incident photon excites an electron into functioning as a conducting electron.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, to describe the generation and annihilation of photons, we need operators. If we have a state described by n particles, then the generation operator acts on that state to create a state with n+1 particles. Likewise, the annihilation operator acts on the n state to produce a state with n-1 particles, UNLESS the n state is the state with zero particles. In that case, the operation produces the n state again, corresponding to the zero state.

This suggests the operators can be represented in the ladder operator framework. Then the properties of the operators should be the same as for all ladder operators. The two operators are then adjoints of each other, and

[tex]b|\psi_{n}\rangle=\sqrt{n+1}|\psi_{n+1}\rangle [/tex]
[tex]b^{\dagger}|\psi_{n}\rangle=\sqrt{n}|\psi_{n-1}\rangle[/tex]

where the nth state corresponds to the number of particles, n.

The commutator for ladder operators is 1, for example:

[tex][b,b^{\dagger}]|n\rangle=bb^{\dagger}|n\rangle-b^{\dagger}b|n\rangle= [(n+1)-(n)]|n\rangle=|n\rangle[/tex]

Then the uncertainty between the two operators is:

[tex]\sigma_{b}^{2}\sigma_{b^{\dagger}}^{2}=(\frac{1}{2i}\langle[b,b^{\dagger}]\rangle)^{2}=-\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

THAT doesn't seem right...I was thinking of establishing an minimum possible uncertainty between the creation and annihilation of photons and in that way establish a minimum noise limit for photodetection. Where have I gone wrong? This is a first-semester QM project so I'm hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define the uncertainty of non-hermitian operators like creation and annihilation operators?

1. What is the fundamental noise limit for an ideal photodetector?

The fundamental noise limit for an ideal photodetector is the minimum amount of noise that can be present in the output signal of the detector. It is determined by the intrinsic noise sources, such as thermal noise and shot noise, within the detector.

2. How is the fundamental noise limit calculated?

The fundamental noise limit is calculated using the equation: Nmin = √(2qIdcΔf), where Nmin is the minimum detectable noise, q is the electron charge, Idc is the DC photocurrent, and Δf is the bandwidth of the detector.

3. Can the fundamental noise limit be exceeded?

No, the fundamental noise limit cannot be exceeded in an ideal photodetector. However, in real-world detectors, the noise level may exceed the theoretical limit due to external factors such as electronic noise and environmental interference.

4. How does the fundamental noise limit affect the performance of a photodetector?

The fundamental noise limit sets the lower bound for the sensitivity and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of a photodetector. The lower the noise limit, the higher the sensitivity and SNR of the detector.

5. Can the fundamental noise limit be improved?

Yes, the fundamental noise limit can be improved by reducing the noise sources within the detector, such as by using higher quality materials and optimizing the design of the detector. Additionally, using amplifiers and filtering techniques can help improve the SNR of the detector.