1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Polynomial Operations

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Hi guys! I'm kind of stuck in my review here in Quantitave on the Polynomial part :confused:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A. The first problem I had is Problem 7 on the link I will provide which has this.
    (x + y)3 + (x-y)3 = ?

B. The second problem I had is Problem 8 on the same link I will provide which has this.
    x + 2xx-2
    1 + 4 x2 - 4

Here is the link for proper viewing (sorry I'm still not quite familiar with the tools here in PF :redface:):
    http://i.imgur.com/UyJXw2a.jpg?1

2. Relevant equations
    A. (x + y)3 = x3 + y3 = (x + y)(x2 - xy + y2)
    (x-y)3 = x3 - y3 = (x - y)(x2 + xy + y2)

B. I'm sorry I have no idea about the equation on this one :redface:

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I tried answering it I got:

A. 2x(2x2 + 2y2)
    And the answer key provided says that the answer is Choice A which is highlighted in yellow

B. I'm sorry I have no idea how to solve this problem :frown:

Please help me guys and if it's not too much trouble please show the solution :redface: Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no, no! You cannot write ##(x+y)^3 = x^3 + y^3## because that is false. Do you think that ##(1+3)^3 = 1^3 + 3^3##; that is, do you think that 64 = 28?

To figure out what ##(x+y)^3## is equal to, just expand it out; that is, note that ##(x+y)^3 = (x+y)(x+y)^2## and you can first expand out ##(x+y)^2##, then multiply by (x+y and expand out again. There are fast formulas for doing all this more-or-less automatically, but until you really know what you are doing I recommend that you stay away from formulas and just do it from scratch, the long way.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. Nov 20, 2013 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

For 8 you have a complex fraction, what should you do to begin to simplify it?

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4
    Oh! Thank you so much for clearing that one up for me Ray, let me try to solve it again using your advice. I'll get back to you once I'm done. :approve:

Thanks too Student 100, I'm thinking of expanding it a bit. Let me get back to you once I'm done also with Problem 8. :approve:

Guys thanks a lot I really appreciate it! :smile:

6. Nov 21, 2013 #5
    Ray thanks a lot! I finally got it! :smile:

http://i.imgur.com/rzjJya4.jpg?1

7. Nov 21, 2013 #6
    It seems I'm having difficulties trying it out :frown:

http://i.imgur.com/ZVOA0eO.jpg?1

Am I missing something about simplifying it?

8. Nov 21, 2013 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

You can convert the numerator and denominator each into fractions, each with their own common denominator and then multiply the numerator by the inverse of the denominator, or you can multiply the numerator and denominator by the least common multiple of their denominators and simplify from that point.

9. Nov 21, 2013 #8

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of your work got cut off, so I can't see it.

Think about it this way: You have two different mixed fractions, split them up for now [itex] x + \frac {2x}{x-2} [/itex] and [itex] 1 + \frac {4}{x^2-4}[/itex]

The first thing you're going to want to do is put everything in each mixed fraction over a common denominator. So you want something like [itex] \frac {x(????what goes here) + 2x} {x-2} [/itex] and [itex] \frac {1(???) +4} {x^2-4}[/itex]

After you have that done, then you can put it back into complex fraction form[itex] \frac {\frac {x(??)+2x}{x-2}}{\frac {1(???)+4}{x^2-4}}[/itex]

Do you know what to do from there?

Fyi: This link is helpful : http://www.purplemath.com/modules/compfrac.htm

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  10. Nov 22, 2013 #9
    Thanks for the response Student100 I really appreciate it! Let me get back to you, I'm going to try solving it again using your advice. :redface:

11. Nov 22, 2013 #10
    Thanks for the reply rcgldr! Let me get back to you too once I finish solving it again using yours and Student100's advice. Thank you so much! :redface:

12. Nov 22, 2013 #11
    I finally did it Student100! Here's what I did:

http://i.imgur.com/P8DgFwQ.jpg

Thank you so much for the advice it really helped me a lot as well as the site you provided. :smile:

13. Nov 22, 2013 #12

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad we could help.

There is one more thing you should technically do, that may not be required for this problem but it's good practice. That is, what are the restrictions on values for X for which the function is undefined?

14. Nov 22, 2013 #13
    You could have started with a well known identity.
    $$a^3+b^3=(a+b)(a^2-ab+b^2)$$
    In your case a=x+y and b=x-y, substituting
    $$(x+y+x-y)((x+y)^2-(x-y)(x+y)+(x-y)^2)=2x(x^2+y^2+2xy-x^2+y^2+x^2+y^2-2xy)$$
    $$=2x(x^2+3y^2)$$

15. Nov 22, 2013 #14

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Excellent Pranav, however, I'm a bit leery to suggest fancy things without a solid understanding of the basics. In this case, just multiplying them out by hand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted