Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Theorem of Field extensions

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    Suppose F is a field and that ## f(x) ## is a non-constant polynomial in ##F[x]##. Since ##F[x] ## is a unique factorization domain, ## f(x) ## has an irreducible factor, ## p(x) ##. Then the fundamental theorem of field theory says that the field ## E = F[x]/<p(x)> ## contains a zero of ## f(x) ##. I am confused by the last statement.

## f(x) ## is an element of ## F[x] ##, not ## E ##, so what does it mean to say that E contains a zero of ## f(x) ##? For an element ## \alpha ## to be a zero of ## f(x) ##, it must be the case that ## \alpha \in F ## and ## f(\alpha) = 0 ## where ## 0 ## is the identity of F.

I'm a bit confused here. Perhaps someone could lend me a hand? Thanks!

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2015 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Project f(x) into E.

Example: F is the real numbers, f(x) is $$X^2 + 1$$. f is irreducible and E = F[x]/<f(x)> is the field generated by the projections of 1 and x into E.

$$x^2 + 1 = 0 $$ in E so x is a zero of f(x) in E

More generally x is a zero of f(x) in F[x]/<f(x)>

If p(x) is an irreducible factor of f(x), then x is a zero of p(x) in E = F[x}/<p(x)> and thus is a zero of f(x) in E as well.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. May 1, 2015 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

to say that a field E containing F, also contains a zero c of f, which lies in F[X], means there is an F algebra homomorphism from F[X]-->E, taking X to c, and f to zero. Since the homomorphism takes X to c, and is an F algebra homomorphism, it also takes f(X) to f(c), and this means f(c) = 0. In this case, the homomorphism takes X to its equivalence class mod p, and hence takes f(X) to its equivalence class mod p. Since the equivalence class of p is zero mod p, and p divides f, and the map is muliplicative, so also the equivalence class of f is zero mod p.

the whole confusion is the fact that isomorphisms are being used without mention. I.e. the zero of f is in E, so we want to first insert F into E, by replacing the isomorphic copy of F in E with F itself. Then we can view f as belonging to E[X], and can more intuitively evaluate f on an element of E. I.e. if c belongs to E, it is more obvious there is an evaluation map from E[X] to E taking X to c. I hopoe I got this right. This also confused me as a student, but van der Waerden made it very clear. also Lavinia is more succinct than I.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook