1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental thermo systems problem

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    1. Unit mass of a fluid at a pressure of 3 bar, and with a specific volume of 0.18 m3/kg, contained in a cylinder behind a piston expands reversibly to a pressure of 0.6 bar according to the law p = c/v2, where c is a constant. Calculate the work done during the process.

2. P1V1=P2V2

3. I know that the answer is 29.82 J/kg out of the system, but how to get it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2
    c=p1*v12 but work=∫p*dv=∫c/v2*dv=c∫dv/v2 the rest is basic calculus. The answer units should be kj/kg

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3
    c=Subscript[p, 1]*Subsuperscript[v, 1, 2] but work = \[Integral]p \[DifferentialD]v =\[Integral]c/v^2 \[DifferentialD]v = c \[Integral]1/v^2 \[DifferentialD]v the rest is basic calc. I believe the answer units is KJ/Kg

5. Jan 31, 2014 #4
    Guess I can't copy mathematica text into the message box

6. Jan 31, 2014 #5
    Thank you! I'll go through this tomorrow. I've been working on these problems the whole day. It is time for me to take a break. I appreciate the reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted