Fundamentals of Physics- Gold Standard in another language?

In summary, an international student is concerned about taking Physics in a non-native language. They plan to form a study group and are seeking online videos/lectures for assistance. A recommendation is made to search for "physics lecture" on YouTube and to check out lectures from MIT on their website.
der4
I'm taking Physics this year. The problem is that the lectures are not going to be in English, my native tongue, and I'm not yet fluent in the language of instruction. I'm an international student and will be dealing with this my entire studies.

The book the class is using is Fundamentals of Physics (halliday, resnick, walker) "English" international extended edition. Fortunately the text and tests will be in English.

Because I'm not fluent in the language of instruction I will try to build a study group of English speaking students. Can anyone "PLEASE" recommend some online videos/lectures of instruction in General (Freshman-for Engineers) physics? Especially if the lectures are based on the textbook I'm using.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just go to YouTube and search for "physics lecture" (singular), and you'll find everything you want. I also happen to know that MIT gives some good lectures too at

http://ocw.mit.edu/

Good luck :)

I can understand your concerns about taking Physics in a language that is not your native tongue. It can be challenging to fully grasp complex concepts in a foreign language. However, I would like to assure you that the Fundamentals of Physics textbook by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker is considered the gold standard in the field and is widely used in many countries.

In order to supplement your learning and better understand the concepts, I highly recommend that you build a study group with English-speaking students. This will not only help you in understanding the lectures but also improve your language skills.

In addition, there are many online resources available that provide lectures and tutorials in English on the topics covered in your textbook. Some websites even have interactive simulations and practice problems to help you better understand the material. I would suggest looking for resources that are specifically based on the Fundamentals of Physics textbook that you are using.

Lastly, I would like to commend you for your determination and perseverance in pursuing your studies in a foreign language. It may be challenging, but I believe that with hard work and dedication, you will be able to overcome any difficulties and succeed in your studies. Best of luck!

1. What is the Gold Standard for understanding the fundamentals of physics?

The Gold Standard for understanding the fundamentals of physics is a widely renowned textbook written by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker. It covers a comprehensive range of topics in classical and modern physics and is used as a primary reference in many university courses.

2. Is the Gold Standard available in languages other than English?

Yes, the Gold Standard is available in multiple languages, including Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, and Japanese. It has been translated into various languages to make it more accessible to students and researchers around the world.

3. What sets the Gold Standard apart from other physics textbooks?

The Gold Standard stands out for its clear and concise explanations, numerous real-world examples and applications, and extensive problem sets. It also includes interactive online resources and animations to enhance the learning experience.

4. Who is the target audience for the Gold Standard?

The Gold Standard is primarily aimed at undergraduate students studying physics or related fields. However, it is also a valuable resource for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics.

5. Are there any supplemental materials available for the Gold Standard?

Yes, there are various supplemental materials available for the Gold Standard, including a solutions manual, study guides, and online resources such as interactive simulations and quizzes. These materials can aid in further understanding and reinforce the concepts covered in the textbook.