1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus A good calculus book for physics

1. Sep 1, 2015 #1
    I am an advanced 8th grader and I'm very interested in physics. However, I want to study calculus first (I know precaculus, but I will study it a bit further before beginning calculus). Does anyone have recommendations for good, interesting calculus books if my main goal in studying it now (as opposed to learning it in school) is to enable me to study physics?
    For physics, I intend to use Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walkers.
    I appreciate any suggestions, as well as explanation about the book and about why it's good for my purpose.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to the forum.

For you I suggest a Schaum's Outline as your first book.

https://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Calculus-6th-Problems/dp/0071795537/

Cheap. Lots of worked examples.

If that's too easy then just hunt around in your school's library. Or your local high school's library. Or at your local college's library if you are that advanced. Find a book that is at your level. Then try to find a used copy for cheap. The text you use at this level is not going to be on your desk for ever. So try to get it cheap.

Later you will want a handbook. When you get to that stage you will want something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Handbook-Scientists-Engineers-Definitions/dp/0486411478/

If you go into any STEM area you will probably want something like that on your desk. But that's probably a few years away.

4. Sep 1, 2015 #3
    Thomas Calculus 3rd ed with analytical geometry and an old version of Stewart Calculus. Both books complement each other nicely.

If you had geometry, a good course using a book, say, Jacobs Geometry, then you may want to do Kisselev. I am a little concerned that you are in the 8th grade and you already "know pre-calculus". I suggest you study pre-calculus by Axler or Serge Lang: Basic Mathematics first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted