Undergrad physics courses in European universities

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's interest in pursuing a physics major in his bachelor's studies and his search for universities in Europe that offer undergraduate courses in English. Recommendations for universities in Germany with low tuition fees and scholarship opportunities are provided. The student expresses awareness of a specific university in Bremen offering English courses but mentions the high tuition fees and inquires about scholarship availability.
Judas503
Hi there,

I'm Rafid and I'm a highshool student from Bangladesh. I would like to pursue a physics major in my bachelors studies.

I have searched some universities in Sweden, all of which are great, but the language of instruction for all of them is Swedish. Are there any good universities in Europe (other than UK) which offer undergrad physics courses in English?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try : http://www.bachelorsportal.eu (use the advanced search, bare in mind it need not be comprehensive)

and to look to English programmes in Germany:
http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programmes/07535.en.html

There is also Jacobs university (Bremen, Germany, high tuition fees since its a private university, most students have scholarships, its not so well known): http://www.jacobs-university.de

and the university of Oldenburg (1000eur per year, public university):

http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programmes/07535.en.html?ipid=1189&iplevel=1&ipterm=&ipterm2=&ipterm3=&ipfield=4&ipsubject=360&iptypehei=0&iptownhei=&iphei=0&iplangdistribution=0&iplangtest=&iptuitionfees=0&ipjointdegree=&ipparttime=&ipfasttrack=&ipcombined=&ipduration=0&ipp=15

If you would like to consider learning a new language, Germany has much to offer with little tuition fees (~1000eur per year in public universities) compared to elsewhere (Sweden has already introduced tuition fees starting from this year, its a high number).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm aware of the fact that Jacob's University of Bremen offer undergrad physics course in English. But education is very expensive. As far as I know, tuition is 9,000 euros per semester. How often do they offer scholarships?

Judas503 said:
Yes, I'm aware of the fact that Jacob's University of Bremen offer undergrad physics course in English. But education is very expensive. As far as I know, tuition is 9,000 euros per semester. How often do they offer scholarships?

I am have no idea about the number, but I do expect that 70% of the students at least have scholarships.

Hello Rafid,

Thank you for your interest in pursuing a physics major in your bachelor's studies. European universities offer a wide range of undergraduate physics courses, and many of them are taught in English. Some popular options include the Technical University of Munich in Germany, ETH Zurich in Switzerland, and the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. These universities have strong reputations in the field of physics and offer courses taught by renowned professors.

Additionally, many universities in Europe have English-taught programs for international students, so it is worth exploring options in other countries beyond Sweden. You can also check with individual universities about their language requirements and if they offer any language courses to help you adjust to a new language.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for the perfect university and hope you find a program that meets your academic and personal goals. Remember to also consider factors such as location, cost, and research opportunities when making your decision.

Best regards,

1. What are the typical admission requirements for undergraduate physics courses in European universities?

Admission requirements for undergraduate physics courses vary among European universities, but most typically require a strong background in mathematics, physics, and other science courses. Some universities may also require standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT, and proof of English language proficiency.

2. How long does it take to complete an undergraduate physics degree in Europe?

The duration of an undergraduate physics degree in Europe can vary from 3 to 4 years, depending on the country and university. In some countries, such as England, undergraduate degrees are typically 3 years, while in others, such as Germany, they can be up to 4 years.

3. Are there any specific language requirements for international students in European universities?

Yes, most European universities require international students to provide proof of English language proficiency. This can be done through standardized tests such as TOEFL or IELTS, or by providing evidence of previous education in English-speaking countries.

4. Can I transfer credits from my previous university to a European university for an undergraduate physics degree?

It is possible to transfer credits from a previous university to a European university for an undergraduate degree in physics, but it will depend on the specific university's policies. Some universities may have specific transfer agreements with certain universities, while others may evaluate each transfer request on a case-by-case basis.

5. Are there any scholarship opportunities available for international students in European universities for undergraduate physics degrees?

Yes, there are various scholarship opportunities available for international students in European universities for undergraduate physics degrees. These can be offered by the universities themselves, governments, or external organizations. It is recommended to research and apply for scholarships early in the application process.