Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics by Frederick Reif

In summary, Frederick Reif's book, Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, is a comprehensive guide on the use of statistical methods in physics. It covers topics such as random walks and binomial distributions, statistical description of systems of particles, statistical thermodynamics, and macroscopic parameters and their measurement. Simple applications of statistical mechanics are also discussed, such as ideal gases, free expansion and throttling processes, heat engines and refrigerators. Magnetism and low temperatures are also covered. Elementary kinetic theory of transport processes is introduced, and transport theory is explained using the relaxation time approximation. Irreversible processes and fluctuations are also covered.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Table of Contents:

Code:
1. Introduction to Statistical Methods
Random Walk and Binomial Distribution / General Discussion of the Random Walk

2. Statistical Description of Systems of Particles
Statistical Formulation of the Mechanical Problem / Interaction between Macroscopic Systems

3. Statistical Thermodynamics
Irreversibility and the Attainment of Equilibrium / Thermal Interaction between Macroscopic Systems / General Interaction between Macroscopic Systems / Summary of Fundamental Results

4. Macroscopic Parameters and Their Measurement

5. Simple Applications of Macroscopic Thermodynamics
Properties of Ideal Gases / General Relations for a Homogeneous Substance / Free Expansion and Throttling Processes / Heat Engines and Refrigerators

6. Basic Methods and Results of Statistical Mechanics
Ensembles Representative of Situations of Physical Interest / Approximation Methods / Generalizations and Alternative Approaches

7. Simple Applications of Statistical Mechanics
General Method of Approach / Ideal Monatomic Gas / The Equipartition Theorem / Paramagnetism / Kinetic Theory of Dilute Gases in Equilibrium

8. Equilibrium between Phases or Chemical Species
General Equilibrium Conditions / Equilibrium between Phases / Systems with Several Components; Chemical Equilibrium

9. Quantum Statistics of Ideal Gases
Maxwell-Boltzmann, Bose-Einstein, and Fermi-Dirac Statistics / Ideal Gas in the Classical Limit / Black-Body Radiation / Conduction Electrons in Metals

10. Systems of Interacting Particles
Solids / Nonideal Classical Gas / Ferromagnetism

11. Magnetism and Low Temperatures

12. Elementary Kinetic Theory of Transport Processes

13. Transport Theory Using the Relaxation Time Approximation

14. Near-Exact Formulation of Transport Theory

15. Irreversible Processes and Fluctuations
Transition Probabilities and Master Equation / Simple Discussion of Brownian Motion / Detailed Analysis of Brownian Motion / Calculation of Probability Distributions / Fourier Analysis of Random Functions / General Discussion of Irreversible Processes

Appendices

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know this book, you should have the basics of Stat Mech down, It doesn't do anything with regards to modern techniques (Field Theory), but still a very well written book.

Great book. I would have strongly recommended this except that I felt there were some organizational issues I had with the book. Mainly, I remember a number of times where he would put a reference to a formula three chapters back, and after a minute of searching for it, the equation would turn out to be something like [itex]E_{tot}=E_1+E_2[/itex]. Great book, but I'd love a slightly better edited copy. (Yes, I'm being sort of nitpicky, but Stat Mech is a rough enough subject)

I have to admit, I didn't care for this book when I took stat mech as an undergrad. I remember trying to read it, and it seemed like Reif took a long time to get to the point.

vela said:
I have to admit, I didn't care for this book when I took stat mech as an undergrad. I remember trying to read it, and it seemed like Reif took a long time to get to the point.
This is how I feel book. It's a 'fine' book, but not exceptional.

I self-taught myself classical stat mech and some kinetic theory from this book. The fact that it was so wordy was fine, since I didn't have a professor to guide me and I learned a lot from the text. I did have to take notes, and ended up making a several page list of important definitions and equations to help me wade through the later chapters. This was necessary since the book isn't made to easily find things in, as noted by other reviewers. Many of the problems are interesting, and I had fun working them out. Some of the early chapters probably had too few problems, though. Most were do-able for me, but a few left me stumped. A number of years later I ran across the book by Schroeder, which I think would have been better for the basic stat mech (but covers no kinetic theory); it seems to make things clear and concise and is much easier to read.

Overall I enjoyed the book, but if this is your first exposure to stat mech I recommend Schroeder over Reif (Schroeder is cheaper, too!). Others may know of even easier books.

jason

1. What are the main topics covered in "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by Frederick Reif?

The main topics covered in this book include statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, kinetic theory, and quantum statistics. It also covers topics such as phase transitions, critical phenomena, and the application of statistical physics to various systems.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in statistical and thermal physics?

While this book does cover the fundamentals of statistical and thermal physics, it is more suitable for intermediate or advanced students. It assumes some prior knowledge of physics and mathematics.

3. Does this book provide practical applications of statistical and thermal physics?

Yes, this book not only covers the theoretical foundations of statistical and thermal physics, but also provides practical applications in various fields such as condensed matter physics, astrophysics, and biophysics. It also includes real-world examples and problems for students to apply their knowledge.

4. Are there any supplementary materials available for this book?

Yes, there are supplementary materials such as solution manuals, lecture notes, and additional problems available for instructors and students. These materials can be found on the publisher's website or requested through the author's website.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for researchers in the field of statistical and thermal physics?

Yes, this book can be used as a reference for researchers as it covers advanced topics and provides a comprehensive understanding of statistical and thermal physics. However, it is primarily aimed at students and may not cover all the latest developments in the field.