Fundamental lemma of calculus of variations in R^k

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Niles
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
0
Hi all.

In my notes I wrote down from the blackboard, I wrote

[Fundemental Lemma of the Calculus of Variations] Let f : [a,b] -> R be continuous and suppose that

[tex] \int_a^b f(t)h(t)dt = 0[/tex]

for all [itex]h\in C_{0,0}^1([a,b], R)[/itex], where [itex]C_{0,0}^1([a,b], R)[/itex] is the space of C1 parametrized curves O : [a,b] -> R that start and end in 0.

I suspect that I missed some k's when writing this down from the blackboard. Am I correct when I say that this also works if we are in Rk?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What you are missing is the conclusion of the lemma. You have only stated the hypotheses. IF f is a function having those properties then- f(x)= 0 of all x in [a,b].

No, you are not correct that this also works in Rk. In higher dimensions just integrating on paths is not enough. You would also have to know that integral was 0 on all surfaces, all three dimensional regions, etc. up to the dimension of the space.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Yes, for some reason I didn't type in the conclusion, even though I did write it down in class. Thanks.