Funny Physics Photos? Let's Share!

In summary: Those were exactly the kind of images I was looking for!In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for "funny" physics photos and asking for help from the PhysicsForums community. They have searched using various terms but have not found many good ones. Some examples of photos are shared, including one of a man standing on a ladder in a pool working with electrical equipment. The term "Darwin Awards" is suggested as a good search term for these types of photos. The conversation ends with the person thanking the community for sharing photos.
Konata
"Funny" Physics Photos?

I'm looking for some "funny" physics photos- not simple "unbalanced" logistics photos though.

Yes, I have done many google searches on the topic using terms like "funny physics, logistics etc", but I still cannot find many good ones. I'm hoping that those on this site might have some funny physics pictures.

Here is an example of a very nice image:
[PLAIN]http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2568/safetyladderinpool.jpg
This man is standing on a metal ladder, barefoot, in the middle of a pool- working with electrical equipment!

I'd greatly appreciate it if the PhysicsForums community could post some pics for me! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Not really funny physics, more Darwin Awards.

Thanks for posting! I think there are a lot of physics elements in the photograph though!

"Darwin Awards" is a really good search term for photos like these...

Konata said:
Thanks for posting! I think there are a lot of physics elements in the photograph though!

"Darwin Awards" is a really good search term for photos like these...

It's the official place for them. There's an entire site and awards scheme for them (hence the name).

[PLAIN]http://pw0nd.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/goodidea-499x460.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

darwin-awards.jpg

TruckProppedUp.jpg

Thank you so much for posting those pics, Mrspeedybob!

1. What makes a photo "funny" in the context of physics?

A photo is typically considered "funny" in the context of physics if it portrays a humorous or unexpected scenario involving scientific principles or concepts. This could be through visual puns, exaggerated depictions of scientific phenomena, or clever use of scientific terminology.

2. Are there specific types of physics that lend themselves to being captured in funny photos?

While any branch of physics can potentially be used to create funny photos, certain areas may be more commonly represented. For example, photos involving physics principles such as gravity, motion, or optics tend to be popular choices for humorous depictions.

3. Can anyone take a funny physics photo, or do you need a background in physics to understand the humor?

Anyone can take a funny physics photo, but a basic understanding of physics principles can enhance the humor. However, even those without a scientific background can still appreciate the visual humor in many physics photos.

4. How do people come up with ideas for funny physics photos?

Ideas for funny physics photos can come from a variety of sources, such as popular culture, common scientific concepts, or personal experiences. Some people may also use their knowledge of physics to intentionally create humorous scenarios or visual puns.

5. Are there any ethical concerns about using science for humor in these photos?

Some may argue that using science for humor in photos can trivialize or misrepresent scientific concepts. However, as long as the photos are not offensive or harmful, many see them as a lighthearted way to promote interest and engagement in science.