1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Future engineering student seeks advice

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1
    I plan on entering into an engineering program net year as a first year entrant. My grades should get me into the engineering program if I apply for first year entry. But should I do this?

I only recently (grade 11) started taking my school work as seriously as I do now. My marks are in the high 80's but I still come across new things like (a^3-b^3)=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2) which I probably should have learned prior to my 11th year in school. I am hesitant to enter into a Engineering program my first year at University. I am pretty sure that the course load won't be much of a shock for me as I spend a lot of time on my homework already. Can someone give me an idea as to what to e)(pect? (my >< key is broken... lol) Should I head straight into engineering or should I take advantage of my first year to get much better at math through a couple predominantly physics/math oriented semesters?

If you do say that I can probably handle an engineering course, what kind of books should I read in the mean time to prepare myself? Should I focus on getting algebra down cold or should I do a lot of calculus problems? I wish there was more time left! lol
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?