Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fuzzy logic and the Liar paradox

1. May 7, 2015 #1
    I have once again (this time in http://www.economist.com/node/2099851) come across the argument that a fuzzy logic solves the liar paradox by assigning the liar sentence a truth value N, other than T or F, with
    [[A]] = N ⇒[[~A]] = N. However, I don't see that this gets around the essential point of the liar: the liar uses a predicate ~T, and the assumption of the existence of a predicate ~T leads to a contradiction, for example quickly with the Diagonal Lemma. So if you could build the liar sentence, then the fuzzy logic would be of use to not make it a paradox, granted, but you can't even build the liar sentence in the first place. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2015 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's the arxiv preprint of the paper that the Economist article refers to:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/cs/0309046v1.pdf

I haven't read the whole thing in depth, but basically, they look at specific instances of "The truth value of B is b." At the first level, you have a set of propositions B∈S1, which can be assigned a certain truth value Tr(B) (N.B.--in fuzzy logic, Tr(B)∈[0,1]; cf. Boolean logic, where Tr(B)∈{0,1}), and at the second level you have the set of statements C∈S2 about the truth value of B, namely C = "Tr(B) = b." [It's important to note that S2⊆S1.] Of course, Tr(B) is independent of b, but our intuition says that C is true when Tr(B) is actually equal to b and false when Tr(B) and b differ by exactly 1. So they define Tr(C) = 1-|Tr(B)-b|.

The tricky part comes when you have a self-referential formula, like B = "Tr(B) = b." The authors model the Liar sentence as A = "A is false," or A = "Tr(A) = 0," where A∈S1. But since A is of the same form as C (above), it's also the case that A∈S2. So the sentence can be recast as C = "Tr(A) = 0." Since A=C, we also have Tr(A)=Tr(C). Taking the definition of Tr(C), you get:

Tr(C) = 1-|Tr(C)-0| = 1-Tr(C) since Tr(C) ≥ 0
    2Tr(C) = 1
    Tr(C) = 0.5

Whether you agree with it philosophically or not, it does seem to be a consistent way to treat the problem. But it hinges on two things: how you model the Liar sentence, and how you define the truth value of sentences from the set S2.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. May 7, 2015 #3
    Many thanks, TeethWhitener, both for the article and your excellent summary! Fascinating article, not only the part that you so splendidly summarized, but the rest of it as well. I am still going through it, but the essential part which you explained is indeed rather elegant: a bit like having nested models reflected down to a single syntactic level. Philosophically? I do not see any philosophical objection problem with breaking a truth value assignment into two parts. More of interest are the open questions which the author leaves "for future research", especially: is the set of solutions the base set for a lattice? Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook