1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G, group of order n, and m such that (m,n)=1, if g^m = 1 show that g = 1

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a group of order n, and let m be an integer such that gcd(m,n) = 1.
    Prove that [itex]g^m = 1 => g = 1[/itex]
    and show that each [itex]g \in G[/itex] has an mth root, that is [itex]g = a^m[/itex], for some [itex]a \in G[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Now by Lagrange's theorem, [itex]g^n = 1[/itex].
    Since gcd(m,n) = 1, we can write mx + yn = 1.

Now [itex]g = g^1 = g[/itex][itex]mx+yn[/itex][itex] = (g^m)^x (g^n)^y = 1^x 1^y = 1[/itex].

Also I found another way to solve the first part. Anyone tell me if it is correct:

[itex] g^m = 1\Rightarrow o(g) | m[/itex]

Since [itex] |G| = n \Rightarrow o(g) | n \Rightarrow o(g) = 1 [/itex] since [itex] gcd(m,n)=1[/itex] which implies that g = 1.

Now can anyone give me a hint for the second part?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Think about the map

[tex]\varphi:G\rightarrow G:g\rightarrow g^m[/tex]

being injective or surjective.

4. Jun 9, 2012 #3
    Since [itex]G[/itex] is a group, it is closed under the operation. So for each [itex]g[/itex], there exists [itex]g^m[/itex] in [itex]G[/itex]. Since [itex]g^m_1 \neq g^{m}_2[/itex] for [itex]g_1 \neq g_2[/itex] the mapping must be bijective. So considering [itex]\varphi^{-1}[/itex], we get the desired result.

Please correct me if my reasoning line is not correct.

5. Jun 9, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's correct.

6. Jun 9, 2012 #5
    Thank you for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook