"Gabriel's Horn" - A 3-D cone formed by rotating a curve

Could we start with a finite amount of paint and continue adding brushfuls of paint until the horn is covered? No, the surface area is infinite and we would never get the job done.The surface area integral is:$$S = 2 \pi \int_1^\infty \frac{1}{x} \sqrt{1 + \frac{1}{x^4}} \, dx$$Substitute ##z = x^2##, then ##dz = 2x\,dx##, so ##dx = dz/(2x)##, and the integral becomes:$$S = \pi \int_1^\in
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Consider the three dimensional cone formed by rotating the graph of ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}## for ##x \ge 1## about the ##x## axis. The graph of ##f(x)## is shown below.

Calculate :

(a) The ##\mathbf{\text{volume}}## of the cone,

(b) The ##\mathbf{\text{surface area}}## of the cone. ##\\[10pt]##
Relevant Equations
1. Let ##f## be continuous on ##[a,b]##, and let ##R## be the region bounded by the graph of ##f##, the ##x##-axis, and the vertical lines ##x = a## and ##x = b##. The ##\textbf{volume}## ##V## of the solid of revolution generated by revolving ##R## about the ##x##-axis is $$V = \pi \int_a^b [f(x)]^2 dx$$

2. If ##f## is smooth and ##f(x)\ge 0## on ##[a,b]## , then the ##\textbf{area S of the surface}## generated by revolving the graph of ##f## about the ##x##-axis is $$ S = 2\pi \int_a^b f(x) \sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^2} dx$$ ##\\[10pt]##
1621177119931.png
Problem statement :
We have the graph of the function ##f(x)## shown to the right. The function ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}## and the domain of ##x \in [1,\infty)##. We have to find the volume and surface area of the 3-D "cone" formed by rotating the function about the ##x## axis. ##\\[10pt]##Attempt : I find the volume of the surface of revolution first.

1. Volume : Using Relevant Equation 1 above, we have $$V = \pi \int_a^b [f(x)]^2 dx = \pi \int_1^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2} dx = \pi \left[\frac{1}{x}\right]_{\infty}^1 \Rightarrow \; \boxed{\mathbf{V = \pi}}$$
1621178620483.png
In the website, there is a multiple choice list with the correct answer. I have selected mine as
##\mathbf{\pi}## but I need to complete the second part of the problem for it to let me know whether am right or wrong on both. The two parts come as one whole problem.
2. Surface area : (This is where I am in trouble)

Using the Relavant Equation 2 above, we have $$S = 2\pi \int_a^b f(x) \sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^2} dx $$
Now since ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}\Rightarrow f'(x) = - \frac{1}{x^2}##, the above simplifies to,
$$S = 2\pi \int_1^{\infty} \frac{1}{x} \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^4}}dx = 2\pi \int_1^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{x^4+1}}{x^3} dx$$

Let's change variables from ##x\rightarrow \theta : x^2 = \tan\theta\Rightarrow 2xdx = \sec^2\theta d\theta##. Rearranging variables and limits, we have $$S = \cancel{2}\pi\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{\sec \theta}{x^3} \frac{\sec^2 \theta d\theta}{\cancel{2}x} = \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{\sec^3 \theta d\theta}{\tan^2 \theta} = \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{(1+\tan^2 \theta)\sec\theta}{\tan^2\theta}d\theta = \pi \left[ \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2}\frac{\sec\theta}{\tan^2 \theta} + \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \sec\theta \right]$$
Multiplying the top and bottom of the first term with ##\cos^2\theta##, we have $$S = \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{\cos\theta}{\sin^2\theta}d\theta + \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \sec\theta d\theta$$
Let's call the first integral as $$I = \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{\cos\theta}{\sin^2\theta}d\theta$$ Effecting a change of variables from ##\theta \rightarrow z : z = \sin\theta \Rightarrow dz = \cos\theta d\theta##, we have $$I = \pi \int_{1/\sqrt{2}}^{1} \frac{dz}{z^2} = \pi \left[ \frac{1}{z}\right]_{1}^{1/\sqrt{2}} = \pi(\sqrt 2-1)$$
1621186821874.png

The second integral is : $$\pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \sec\theta d\theta = \ln{|\sec\theta+\tan\theta|} _{\pi/4}^{\pi/2}$$
which is divergent for the upper limit of ##\pi/2##

These are the allowed answers on the website - none of which match mine.A help or hint would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement:: Consider the three dimensional cone formed by rotating the graph of ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}## for ##x \ge 1## about the ##x## axis. The graph of ##f(x)## is shown below.

Calculate :

(a) The ##\mathbf{\text{volume}}## of the cone,

(b) The ##\mathbf{\text{surface area}}## of the cone. ##\\[10pt]##
Relevant Equations:: 1. Let ##f## be continuous on ##[a,b]##, and let ##R## be the region bounded by the graph of ##f##, the ##x##-axis, and the vertical lines ##x = a## and ##x = b##. The ##\textbf{volume}## ##V## of the solid of revolution generated by revolving ##R## about the ##x##-axis is $$V = \pi \int_a^b [f(x)]^2 dx$$

2. If ##f## is smooth and ##f(x)\ge 0## on ##[a,b]## , then the ##\textbf{area S of the surface}## generated by revolving the graph of ##f## about the ##x##-axis is $$ S = 2\pi \int_a^b f(x) \sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^2} dx$$ ##\\[10pt]##

View attachment 283119Problem statement : We have the graph of the function ##f(x)## shown to the right. The function ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}## and the domain of ##x \in [1,\infty)##. We have to find the volume and surface area of the 3-D "cone" formed by rotating the function about the ##x## axis. ##\\[10pt]##Attempt : I find the volume of the surface of revolution first.

1. Volume : Using Relevant Equation 1 above, we have $$V = \pi \int_a^b [f(x)]^2 dx = \pi \int_1^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2} dx = \pi \left[\frac{1}{x}\right]_{\infty}^1 \Rightarrow \; \boxed{\mathbf{V = \pi}}$$View attachment 283121In the website, there is a multiple choice list with the correct answer. I have selected mine as ##\mathbf{\pi}## but I need to complete the second part of the problem for it to let me know whether am right or wrong on both. The two parts come as one whole problem.
2. Surface area : (This is where I am in trouble)

Using the Relavant Equation 2 above, we have $$S = 2\pi \int_a^b f(x) \sqrt{1+[f'(x)]^2} dx $$
Now since ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}\Rightarrow f'(x) = - \frac{1}{x^2}##, the above simplifies to,
$$S = 2\pi \int_1^{\infty} \frac{1}{x} \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^4}}dx = 2\pi \int_1^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{x^4+1}}{x^3} dx$$

Let's change variables from ##x\rightarrow \theta : x^2 = \tan\theta\Rightarrow 2xdx = \sec^2\theta d\theta##. Rearranging variables and limits, we have $$S = \cancel{2}\pi\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{\sec \theta}{x^3} \frac{\sec^2 \theta d\theta}{\cancel{2}x} = \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{\sec^3 \theta d\theta}{\tan^2 \theta} = \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{(1+\tan^2 \theta)\sec\theta}{\tan^2\theta}d\theta = \pi \left[ \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2}\frac{\sec\theta}{\tan^2 \theta} + \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \sec\theta \right]$$
Multiplying the top and bottom of the first term with ##\cos^2\theta##, we have $$S = \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{\cos\theta}{\sin^2\theta}d\theta + \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \sec\theta d\theta$$
Let's call the first integral as $$I = \pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \frac{\cos\theta}{\sin^2\theta}d\theta$$ Effecting a change of variables from ##\theta \rightarrow z : z = \sin\theta \Rightarrow dz = \cos\theta d\theta##, we have $$I = \pi \int_{1/\sqrt{2}}^{1} \frac{dz}{z^2} = \pi \left[ \frac{1}{z}\right]_{1}^{1/\sqrt{2}} = \pi(\sqrt 2-1)$$
View attachment 283125
The second integral is : $$\pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \sec\theta d\theta = \ln{|\sec\theta+\tan\theta|} _{\pi/4}^{\pi/2}$$
which is divergent for the upper limit of ##\pi/2##

These are the allowed answers on the website - none of which match mine.A help or hint would be welcome.
These questions are well beyond precalculus, so I have moved the thread to the appropriate forum section.

For the second integral (surface area), saying that it is divergent isn't as meaningful as saying that its value is infinite.

This question commonly appears in calculus textbooks. Its purpose is to show the "paradox" of a solid figure with finite volume, but infinite surface area. Intuitively, one might think that the horn could be filled with a finite volume of paint, but that amount of paint would not suffice to cover the horn with paint, either the inside or the outside.

Likes Lnewqban
Mark44 said:
These questions are well beyond precalculus, so I have moved the thread to the appropriate forum section.

For the second integral (surface area), saying that it is divergent isn't as meaningful as saying that its value is infinite.

This question commonly appears in calculus textbooks. Its purpose is to show the "paradox" of a solid figure with finite volume, but infinite surface area. Intuitively, one might think that the horn could be filled with a finite volume of paint, but that amount of paint would not suffice to cover the horn with paint, either the inside or the outside.
Yes @Mark44 thank you. It has been a learning. I was puzzled about its finite volume but infinite surface area. It is certainly non-intuitive.

Of course, if you use KNMP paint, there is no paradox.

Definition: The xy plane is painted if for any ##r > 0##, the circular area at the origin of radius ##r## is covered.

Theorem: A single drop of KNMP paint is sufficient to paint the ##xy## plane.
Proof: Suppose a drop of KNMP paint has volume ##V##. A drop is placed on the horizontal ##xy## plane at the origin and allowed to spread. Given ##r>0##, when the drop has spread to cover the circle, it will have thickness ##T = \frac V {\pi r^2} > 0##, meaning it hasn't finished spreading. Consequently the plane is painted. Q.E.D.

Note: You don't see this demonstrated very often because KNMP paint is expensive and hard to get.

Note: KNMP is the brand name for "Kurtz's Non-Molecular Paint".

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and Mark44

1. What is Gabriel's Horn?

Gabriel's Horn is a mathematical concept that refers to a 3-D cone formed by rotating a curve around the x-axis. It is also known as Torricelli's trumpet.

2. Who discovered Gabriel's Horn?

Gabriel's Horn was first described by Italian mathematician Bonaventura Cavalieri in the 17th century. However, it is named after the biblical figure Gabriel, who is known as the angel of revelation.

3. What is the mathematical equation for Gabriel's Horn?

The equation for Gabriel's Horn is given by y = 1/x, where x is the distance from the origin and y is the height of the curve at that point. This equation is used to rotate the curve around the x-axis to form the 3-D cone.

4. What is the significance of Gabriel's Horn?

Gabriel's Horn is a mathematical curiosity that has no practical applications. However, it is often used as an example in calculus to demonstrate the concept of infinite surface area and finite volume.

5. Is Gabriel's Horn a real object?

No, Gabriel's Horn is a mathematical concept and does not exist in the physical world. It is a theoretical shape that can only be visualized through mathematical equations and computer-generated graphics.