Surface Area obtained by rotating a curve?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving rotating a curve around the y-axis and using integration to find the surface area. The final result is found using a u-substitution and integration by parts. One of the participants made a mistake in their calculation, but it was corrected and the correct answer was obtained.
Flexer5
1. Let the area of the surface obtained by rotating the curve x = 3e^(2y) from y=0 to y=1 about the y-axis
2. [tex]
S= \int_{y_1} ^{y_2} 2 \pi x ds \ where \ ds=\sqrt{1+ \left( \frac{dx}{dy} \right) ^2} dy
[/tex]

3. [tex]
S=2\pi \int _{0} ^{1} x\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dx}{dy}\right)^2} dy
[/tex]
Let
[itex]
u=6e^{2y} \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dy}=12e^2y \Rightarrow \frac{du}{4}=3e^{2y}dy
[/itex]
[tex]
S=2\pi \int \frac{1}{4} \sqrt{1+u^2} du
[/tex]
I then got 2(pi) integral sec(theta)^3 d(theta) by substituting "u" for tan(theta)

I have been working on this problem for a while, and I am getting frustrated. What is the final result?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All it takes is a u-substitution. Let u=6e^(2y)+1. Then du=12e^(2y) dy, and there's a nice factor of e^(2y) outside of your square root.

Hi,

this is correct, good work:

[tex]

S=2\pi \int \frac{1}{4} \sqrt{1+u^2} du

[/tex]

now u got basically an integral of I = sec(x)^3.
it's a tricky integral solving it is the art of integration :)
use integration by parts: u = sec(x); dv = sec(x)^2 dx
u get: I = uv - int( tan^2(x) sec(x) )

identity: tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) - 1
then you get the same integral on both sides of the equation but with opposite signs !

I = uv - int( sec^3(x) - sec(x) ) = uv - I + int( sec(x) )
I = 0.5* [ uv + int( sec(x) ) ]

here you go ! :)

Thank you guys for all your help.

Char. Limit made a great point, one that I overlooked. Here is what I did:

u == 6*E^(2y) + 1
du == 12*E^(2y)

integral_0^1 6e^(2y) pi sqrt(u) du
integral (pi sqrt(u))/2 du

After taking the integral I got: pi/(4 sqrt(u)).
I then plugged in for u getting: pi/(4 sqrt(6 e^(2 y)+1)) which I evaluated from 0 to 1, but I did not get the right answer! Not only that but the answer I got was negative.

Do I need to change the limits?

Flexer5 said:
Thank you guys for all your help.

Char. Limit made a great point, one that I overlooked. Here is what I did:

u == 6*E^(2y) + 1
du == 12*E^(2y)

integral_0^1 6e^(2y) pi sqrt(u) du
integral (pi sqrt(u))/2 du

After taking the integral I got: pi/(4 sqrt(u)).
I then plugged in for u getting: pi/(4 sqrt(6 e^(2 y)+1)) which I evaluated from 0 to 1, but I did not get the right answer! Not only that but the answer I got was negative.

Do I need to change the limits?

Woops! Instead of integrating, you accidentally differentiated. The integral of sqrt(u) is (2/3)u^(3/2).

I admit Char. Limit found a nice way to solve that integral, much better then messing with sec(x) :)

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a curve rotated around an axis?

The formula for finding the surface area of a curve rotated around an axis is: S = 2π∫a^b y√(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and y is the function of the curve.

2. What is the difference between surface area and area under a curve?

Surface area refers to the total area of the outer surface of a three-dimensional object, while area under a curve refers to the area bounded by a curve on a two-dimensional plane.

3. Can the surface area obtained by rotating a curve ever be negative?

No, the surface area obtained by rotating a curve can never be negative as it represents a physical measurement and cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the shape of the curve affect the surface area when rotated?

The shape of the curve directly affects the surface area when rotated. A curve with a larger radius will result in a larger surface area, while a curve with a smaller radius will result in a smaller surface area.

5. Is there a specific axis that the curve must be rotated around to find the surface area?

No, the curve can be rotated around any axis to find the surface area. However, it is important to specify the axis when calculating the surface area to ensure accurate results.