1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gabriel's Horn (Area and Volume)

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To calculate the area and volume of Gabriel's Horn between [ 1, infinity ).
    And at the same time prove that, volume closes to finity, while area (or surface ) goes to infinity.

2. Relevant equations
    f(x) = 1/x
    f´(x)= -1/x^2

Volume = [itex]\pi[/itex] [itex]^{\infty}_{1}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] ((f(x))^2 )dx

Area = 2[itex]\pi[/itex] [itex]^{\infty}_{1}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] | f(x) | * [itex]\sqrt{}[/itex](1+(f´(x))^2) dx
    3. The attempt at a solution

First page
    Second page

I get the Volume done nicely, but the area? I know i could approximate the √(1+(1/x^4)) = √1 and it would solve easily, but what I'm doing wrong in my integral there? If we insert for example the s = 1, we get ln( 1-1 ) which we know ain't allowed.

So I think my integral is totally off but can't figure out how.

Sincerely yours,
    Siune

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2
    You were on the right track, but it gets to be a messy integral. I would just use the comparison test for integrals.

I don't see where the (-1/2) on the second page, first line went. Your integral seems fine except that you're missing a 1/2 on all your terms. The next step would be to sub back in your substitutions and clean up your answer.

Edit: I also don't understand your limits of integration. You're still integrating from 1 to infinity. If I read your writing correctly, you have them set up from sqrt(2) to 1 on the second page, why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook