Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opposite of Gabriel's Horn Paradox

1. Aug 1, 2013 #1
    We are all familiar with Gabriel's Horn, where the function f(x) = 1/x generates an infinite area but a finite volume when revolved around the x-axis.

So the other day I stumbled upon a particular interesting integral: ∫ from 0 to 1 1/x2/3 dx

Instead of infinite limits of integration, we have an infinite integrand. evaluating this integral, we have 3.

When we rotate the integral about the x-axis, however, we have pi* ∫ from 0 to 1 1/x4/3 dx, which diverges to infinity.

Is this possible? I know that an infinite area can produce a finite volume of revolution, but can the converse of the statement be true? or have I done something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Aug 1, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

I think the OP is using "area" in the sense of "area under the curve", not "surface area of the solid of revolution", which is what the Painter's Paradox is concerned with.

5. Aug 1, 2013 #4
    Yes, sorry for not clarifying but by area I meant "area under the curve", which is a different calculation than "surface area of the solid of revolution". With solids of revolution that are infinitely long, I cannot find a connection between the surface area and the area under the curve.

6. Aug 2, 2013 #5
    Very interesting observation. I believe you are correct in your finding. Thank you for sharing this insight.

Junaid

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook