Gamma ray coincidence and multipoles

Main Question or Discussion Point

Dear Physics Forums,

I am currently conducting an experiment on gamma ray coincidence from Co-60. Co-60 decays to an excited state, then de-excited by emitting two gamma rays. The aim is to deduce the angular momentum L of the first excited state.

Apparently L indicates the type of multipole that the first state is. I can't seem to find any information on this, but what I know so far is that L=1 is a multipole, L=2 is a quadrupole etc.. But I do not understand how this is calculated from L. Is it something to do with spin? I'm currently imagining that spin degeneracy is 2 for a photon, and so if L=2 then 2x2=4 which tells us that this state is quadrupole. I'm a bit fuzzy on this.

Also, im not entirely sure what 'multipole' is meant to mean - something to do with magnetic moment? I would be extremely grateful for a brief explanation of this, I hope I'm not being too demanding!

Thanks guys!

Answers and Replies

fzero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Multipole in this context refers to the Fourier expansion of an arbitrary function into spherical harmonics.

[tex] f(\theta,\phi) = \sum_{\ell,m} c_{\ell, m } Y_{\ell m} (\theta,\phi).[/tex]

If we were to expand a dipole interaction in this way, we'd find that only the [tex]\ell=1[/tex] term contributes. A quadrapole corresponds to the [tex]\ell =2[/tex] term, etc. So this terminology is used to refer to the moments that let us calculate the

[tex]c_{\ell,m}\sim \int d\Omega Y^*_{\ell m} f(\theta,\phi).[/tex]