Finding molecular formula of CHCl gas from pressure and mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter magma_saber
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
magma_saber
Messages
73
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A compound has the empirical formula CHCl. A 256 mL flask, at 373 K and 750. torr, contains 0.800 g of the gaseous compound. Give the molecular formula.


Homework Equations


Only equation i know that relates to this is PV=nRT.


The Attempt at a Solution


I have absolutely no idea.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
All that will give me is "n." what good does that do?
 
how does that give me the molecular formula? I'm still lost...
 
magma_saber said:
how does that give me the molecular formula? I'm still lost...

Check what it does give you. Very important property of substance.
 
Borek said:
n and 0.8 g - combine these two numbers.

By this do you mean add n and 0.8? If so then i get 0.808. now what?
 
No, I didn't told you have to add them. Look at the units - one is number of moles, second is grams. You can't add them just like that.

There is a very important property of each reagent that combines moles and grams, and is extensively used in all almost chemical calculations. Seems to me like you have calculated that 0.008 mole is 0.8 g. Can you calculate now mass of other number of moles of the same substance?