How to Calculate the Pressure of Each Element in a Compound Mixture?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
MaiteB
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A compound of ether (0.287 g) and chloroform (0.568 g) evaporates in the temperature 373 K in an empty container with volume 0.0001m3. Find the pressure of each element. I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?

Homework Equations


pV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MaiteB said:

Homework Statement


A compound of ether (0.287 g) and chloroform (0.568 g) evaporates in the temperature 373 K in an empty container with volume 0.0001m3. Find the pressure of each element. I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?

Homework Equations


pV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?
You can roll the dice and assume the problem is talking about diethyl ether, which is the compound commonly referred to when talking about "ether":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether

Like chloroform, ether was once used as an anesthetic.
 
SteamKing said:
You can roll the dice and assume the problem is talking about diethyl ether, which is the compound commonly referred to when talking about "ether":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether

Like chloroform, ether was once used as an anesthetic.
ok, but what should I do next?
 
Just treat each substance separately, as if there were no other present. That's how gases behave (and that's what partial pressures are about).