Gauge Freedom Quantum Electrodynamics

In summary: You're saying that the equations of motion are the same, regardless of whether you use two different gauges or not.
Juan Carlos
It's well known when if we are working on problems related to particles in presence of an electromanetic field, the way we state the problem can be done using the next Hamiltonian:
[itex]H=\dfrac{(p-\frac{e}{c}A)^2}{2m} +e \phi[/itex] where the only condition for A is: [itex]\vec{\nabla } \times \vec{A} =\vec{B}[/itex]
So we have this "gauge freedom" under (of course) the above condition .
What happens when are studying two or more partcles in presence of the electromagnetic field.

Naturally:
[itex]H=\dfrac{(p_{1}-\frac{e}{c}A)^2}{2m} +\dfrac{(p_{2}-\frac{e}{c}A)^2}{2m} +e \phi[/itex] where the only condition for A is: [itex]\vec{\nabla } \times \vec{A} =\vec{B}[/itex]

The question is: can we relax the condition of one unique gauge for all the particles?

Just saying:
can we select two different gauges? obviously with the condition : [itex]\vec{\nabla } \times \vec{A} =\vec{B}[/itex]

I've been working on this, I satetd two different gauges and I can say that there is no difference in terms between the equations of motion having the same gauge. (Hamilton)

In particular I've done the same for the correspoding quantum problem obtainig the heisemberg equations, having the same result: no difference.

I'm interested on the quantum problem because having two different gauges could provoque loosing the symmetry of a Hamiltonian given.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by choosing two different gauges/vector potentials for the two particles. If you mean, whether you can use to different vector potentials at the two points which are the locations of the two particles, then the answer is negative. Once you apply a gauge transformation to fix gauge or change to a new gauge, you applying that transformation over all space points including the two locations of the two point charges.

Gauge invariance means that the scalar and vector potentials for the electromagnetic field (or better said the four-vector potential of the electromagnetic field) are only defined up to a four-gradient, i.e., if you have a four-vector potential ##A_{\mu}## then also
$$A_{\mu}'=A_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu} \chi$$
describes the same physical situation, i.e., you get the same field-strength tensor,
$$F_{\mu \nu}=\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu}' - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}'=\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \chi - \partial_{\nu} \partial_{\mu} \chi = \partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}.$$
So you can impose one gauge condition. Depending on the situation you look at, the right choice of gauge can simplify the problem considerably. Usual gauge conditions are the Lorenz gauge
$$\partial_{\mu} A^{\mu}=0$$
and the Coulomb gauge
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}=0.$$

The equations of motion for your point-particle problem are gauge independent, because only the field components enter (in terms of the Lorentz force, ##q (\vec{E}+\vec{v} \times \vec{B})## (with ##c=1##).

Are you sure about your Hamiltonian for the two (or more) particles?

It's the standard construction.
ChrisVer said:
Are you sure about your Hamiltonian for the two (or more) particles?

It's the standard construction.

Roy_1981 said:
Not sure what you mean by choosing two different gauges/vector potentials for the two particles. If you mean, whether you can use to different vector potentials at the two points which are the locations of the two particles, then the answer is negative. Once you apply a gauge transformation to fix gauge or change to a new gauge, you applying that transformation over all space points including the two locations of the two point charges.

For Example: Let's suppose we have the magnetic field in the z direction, for example two Landau's gauges:
[tex]\vec{A_{1}}=B(-y,0,0)[/tex] and [tex]\vec{A_{2}}=B(0,x,0)[/tex] where both satisfy [tex] \vec{B}=B\vec{k} [/tex].

So in particular I could say that my Hamiltonian for the two particle system is:

[itex]H=\dfrac{(\vec{p_{1}}-\frac{e}{c}B(-y_{1},0,0))^2}{2m}+\dfrac{(\vec{p_{1}}-\frac{e}{c}B((0,x_2,0))^2}{2m} +e \phi[/itex]

So I'm using two different gauges for my problem. I'm using it in that sense. What I'd like to emphasise is that the equations of motion are the same in comparison to those obtained when I use only one.

Thank you.

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
Gauge invariance means that the scalar and vector potentials for the electromagnetic field (or better said the four-vector potential of the electromagnetic field) are only defined up to a four-gradient, i.e., if you have a four-vector potential ##A_{\mu}## then also
$$A_{\mu}'=A_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu} \chi$$
describes the same physical situation, i.e., you get the same field-strength tensor,
$$F_{\mu \nu}=\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu}' - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}'=\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \chi - \partial_{\nu} \partial_{\mu} \chi = \partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}.$$
So you can impose one gauge condition. Depending on the situation you look at, the right choice of gauge can simplify the problem considerably. Usual gauge conditions are the Lorenz gauge
$$\partial_{\mu} A^{\mu}=0$$
and the Coulomb gauge
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}=0.$$

The equations of motion for your point-particle problem are gauge independent, because only the field components enter (in terms of the Lorentz force, ##q (\vec{E}+\vec{v} \times \vec{B})## (with ##c=1##).

I get your point, is the usual treatment for one particle. But what I'm saying is related to the two particle system, where the question is: Is it correct use two different gauges, one for each particle?

Thank you

No, you should use one gauge for the whole calculation!

vanhees71 said:
No, you should use one gauge for the whole calculation!
and the reason is? I repeat, equations of motion don't change.

1. What is Gauge Freedom in Quantum Electrodynamics?

Gauge freedom is a fundamental principle in quantum electrodynamics (QED) that describes the ability to choose different gauge transformations without changing the physical predictions of the theory. In other words, it refers to the fact that the mathematical description of a physical system in QED can be altered without affecting the physical outcomes.

2. Why is Gauge Freedom important in Quantum Electrodynamics?

Gauge freedom is important in QED because it allows for a more elegant and efficient mathematical description of physical systems. It also helps to simplify calculations and make predictions more accurate, as it eliminates redundancies in the theory.

3. How does Gauge Freedom relate to the electromagnetic force?

In QED, gauge freedom is closely related to the electromagnetic force, as the theory describes the interactions between charged particles and photons, which are the carriers of the electromagnetic force. The gauge freedom allows for the consistent description of the electromagnetic force in terms of quantum fields and particles.

4. What are the consequences of violating Gauge Freedom in Quantum Electrodynamics?

If gauge freedom is violated in QED, it would mean that the mathematical description of a physical system would no longer be consistent with the physical observations. This would lead to incorrect predictions and undermine the validity of the theory.

5. How is Gauge Freedom maintained in Quantum Electrodynamics calculations?

To maintain gauge freedom in QED calculations, gauge fixing conditions are used to choose a specific gauge transformation. This allows for different gauge choices to be made while still ensuring that the physical predictions of the theory remain unchanged.